It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

  • legal guardianship at age 18???

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 05-25-2002, 06:18 PM   #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date: May 2002
    Location: Randolph NY USA
    Posts: 21
    bigsissy HB User
    Question legal guardianship at age 18???

    Does anyone know anything about legal guardianship once a DS person turns 18?? We are trying to find out how to go about this since the baby of family will be 18 in 6 weeks.

    Sponsors Lightbulb
    Old 06-05-2002, 06:23 AM   #2
    Join Date: May 2002
    Location: Boston, MA
    Posts: 1
    sharkie HB User

    I went through this for my brother soon after my mother passed away in 1990. You definately want to have a legal gardian assigned and I will tell you why. As long as there is someone willing to take care of your sister in the years to come, there shouldn't be any problem. But suppose noone is willing or able to take care of your sister some day? You would need to seek support from your state - which your sister is entitled to. However, she needs an advocate - someone willing to fight for what she is entitled to. If you simply turn your sister over to the state, you have no say in the type of care she receives. But, if there is a legal guardian, you do have some say and your sister is still entitled to the same benefits.

    After a couple of years pushing for a community living environment for my brother, he is now in what is considered one of the better homes that happens to be in the same town he grew up in. There were attempts by the state to put him elsewhere on three occasions - but after checking the homes out - I wouldn't allow it. If I wasn't a legal guardian - I would not have had any say.

    The advocate has to be a fighter. I look at the whole process as unfair because I still find people who don't get the benefits they are entitled to due to "no money in the state budget!"

    The process of guardianship is simple. Contact a lawyer in your local town. It is not expensive. Just a process of filing paperwork with the local court. A legal guardian is welcome to give up guardianship at any time - just make sure the person chosen is sincere enough to look out for your sister's best interests!

    Good luck.

    Old 08-16-2002, 08:04 PM   #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date: May 2002
    Location: Randolph NY USA
    Posts: 21
    bigsissy HB User

    Thank you we have since started the process. Our lawyer told us 1500.00 to start and it may go higher. It sounds expesive but whatever it takes to keep her safe and best interest first. Thank you for your reply I haven't been here much.

    Old 09-27-2002, 08:59 PM   #4
    Mike's sister
    Join Date: Sep 2002
    Location: Wyandotte, MI USA
    Posts: 3
    Mike's sister HB User

    I'm not sure about the law in your state, but in MI you can file forms with the probate court without a lawyer. That fee seems high to me. Also, there may be a family services agency that can help with that process too.

    Closed Thread

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:57 PM.

    2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!