It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• HELP-hands constantly in diaper!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-15-2002, 05:18 PM   #1
    Chayce's mom

Chayce's mom HB User
    Question HELP-hands constantly in diaper!

My almost four year old son constantly has his hands in his diaper. This is especially a problem when he has a bowel movement. He tries to get the poop off by wiping his hands everywhere. This happens daily if I don't watch him closely. I've been trying to potty train him for a year now, sometimes he goes in the potty but most times not. He is completely capable of taking off his own clothes and diaper so I have to be on top of him always. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Chayce's mom (edited 08-15-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Chayce's mom (edited 08-25-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2002, 06:00 PM   #2
    mom8times
    Inactive

mom8times HB User
    Cool

Hi, Chayce's Mom

This one is a tough one, and I never had this problem, thank goodness. But I would assume it's as problematic as making Amy wear her sanitary napkin when she wanted it OFF!
    What I did was devoted the whole next day after Amy started her first period to making Amy keep that napkin ON and NOT sneaking it off and throwing it behind the door, behind the dresser, under her pillow, out the window! or flushing it down the toilet!
    I don't know if this will work, but what I'd say you have to do is devote one whole day to breaking Chayce of putting his hands in his diaper. I mean really sit there with him, follow him around, and any time he goes toward his diaper with his hands/fingers, you'd have to say "NO!!" or "NO TOUCH!!"in a very sharp voice and swat his hands away. Not a very hard swat, just enough to get his attention. Usually, with DS kids, the sharp voice and abrupt swat is enuff to get their attention.
    There will be tears, lots of them, because you're not letting him do what he wants but.........BUT!! Just as soon as you see him stopping himself from putting his hands in them you have to be sure to praise him up real big!! "GOOD BOY, CHAYCE!! You don't put hands in pants!! GOOD BOY!!" with lots of hugs. He'll start associating his keeping his hands out of there with a very happy Mom and hugs and that will solve that problem, hopefully.
    From my experience though, you really have to give it a day of your undivided attention for it to sink it, and from then on, just mention how good he is not putting his hands in his pants, what a BIG BOY.
    Hope this helps.
    Peggy

Old 08-20-2002, 07:47 AM   #3
    Tifferbelle

Tifferbelle HB User
    I had forgotten until I read your post, but we had the same problem with Audrey. She didn't really put her hands in her diaper constantly but when she had a bm she would try to clean herself with her hands, and would wipe them off on walls or somewhere. I can't honestly remember if we did anything specific to stop it but it did stop eventually. She would be mortified now if she knew she had done that!

Old 08-25-2002, 09:33 AM   #4
    Chayce's mom

Chayce's mom HB User
    Thanks for the advice, we have an appointment with the school psychologist next week. I hope to develope a "new" plan with her. I will let you all know her advice after the meeting.

------------------
    Jessica

Old 08-25-2002, 12:23 PM   #5
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User
    hi is it possible to buy the vests with the poppers between the legs for your son?? if not try buying the next size vest and fitting poppers, hope ive helped good luck

Old 09-29-2002, 05:28 PM   #6
    Chayce's mom

Chayce's mom HB User
    Well the psychologist has helped a lot. She suggested that I remove Chayce's hand from his pants and give him a toy to play with. She told me not to ask or tell him to remove his hands just do it for him and then say "no hands in diaper". Chayce has been doing much better on his own and has gone pee in the potty twice this week. Thanks for all your help.

------------------
    Jessica

Closed Thread