It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• booster seat vs. car seat

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-12-2002, 09:59 AM   #1
    Chayce's mom

Chayce's mom HB User
    Question booster seat vs. car seat

My son Chayce is 4 years old. He weighs 36lbs. and is about 40" tall. He is too big for his car seat (I can barely buckle him in). I'm not sure about a booster seat since it uses your cars seat belt to restrain the child. I'm afraid he will unbuckle himself and jump out of his seat while I'm driving. He rides the bus to school and is constantly unbuckling himself and getting out of his seat. Has anyone else been through this? Does anyone have any solutions that work?

------------------
    Jessica

[This message has been edited by Chayce's mom (edited 12-12-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2002, 05:58 PM   #2
    bigsissy

bigsissy HB User
    Get a booster seat with the five point harness to it. When Julie was little she would never stay in a belt, now being 18 she does, but back then they didn't have the 5 point ones that I use now with my 3 and 5 year old. Good luck, be firm and remember it is for his safety. It would take us an hour to drive 5 miles with Julie cause everytime she unbuckled we would stop and re do it. over and over.,
    Good luck

Old 02-07-2003, 07:54 AM   #3
    Chayce's mom

Chayce's mom HB User
    Smile

For anyone who is interested I finally found the car seat I've been wishing for. I found one with a five point harness that goes up to 80 lbs. It is made by Britax and is called the "Husky" car seat. They also make a special needs model that goes up to 105 lbs.

------------------
    Jessica

Old 03-18-2003, 02:16 PM   #4
    ShawensMom

ShawensMom HB User
    My son with Ds will be 6 next month, and we've had a problem keeping him in a car seat/seat belt for quite a while now. We are now having a problem on the bus - in fact the driver tried to get me to agree to a restraint (fat chance!).

I am not sure that I understand how this car seat solves the problem. Can't he still unbuckle?

I have used something called a buckle guard, but it didn't work well with my seat belts. It did help for awhile. It covered the belt buckle so he couldn't get to it to unbuckle. We've used books, music, rewards, not getting to watch a movie/show when he got home if he unbuckled, etc., and are having a lot of success. The bus company has provided his own monitor for now.

Any other suggestions?

Old 03-19-2003, 09:17 AM   #5
    Chayce's mom

Chayce's mom HB User
    Hi Shawen's mom,

Chayce's carseat is a five point harness like all carseats for babies and toddlers but it goes up to 80lbs. instead of the usual 40lbs. Chayce has not figured out how to unbuckle this type of buckle. He can unbuckle regular seat belts in my car or on the bus. He has a monitor on his bus who helps keep him in his seat. If your son can unbuckle a five point harness then this carseat won't help you.

------------------
    Jessica

[This message has been edited by Chayce's mom (edited 03-19-2003).]

Closed Thread