It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• Help!!! One "soft" marker--femur length

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2003, 11:23 AM   #1
    skim787

skim787 HB User
    Unhappy Help!!! One "soft" marker--femur length

I just got a call from my doctor--yesterday we had an ultrasound to check the fetal anatomy, and she said that the femur lenght was short when compared to the other measurements. It was only a week off, and she said not to worry, but that it is a marker for Down's. We are awaiting the results from the quad-screen, which will hopefully be in on Friday.

In the meantime, I'm very nervous. Does anyone know how big a factor the femur length is? All of the other measurements came back normal--femur length was the only short one.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2003, 02:39 PM   #2
    Katiepops
    Inactive

Katiepops HB User
    I am shocked she would even worry you like that. I think she should of said nothing until the tests came on Friday and THEN if it confirmed her suspicions to tell you. How sad that you have to worry until then. I will check back and see what you find out!!
    http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Katiepops http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 05-07-2003, 08:18 AM   #3
    skim787

skim787 HB User
    Thanks for your reply. I did some more research on it, and am trying to stay calm, but I won't feel better until I hear on the blood results. I'll keep you posted on what happens.

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2003, 09:55 AM   #4
    Katiepops
    Inactive

Katiepops HB User
    It is Friday about noon CST. I was just checking back to see if you have the test results. Bless your heart. My Aunt went through this. Her oldest child has Downs and they told her she was a carrier and not to have more. She has 2 more children 100% healthy so doctors do not always know.

Old 05-12-2003, 09:57 AM   #5
    skim787

skim787 HB User
    Talking

I'm counting myself as very lucky! We got the blood test results back late Friday afternoon, and it turns out that they came back great--our risk dropped from 1:522 (based on age), and 1:212 (or thereabouts, based on the femur length, from research I did), to only 1:5000! I was SOOOOO happy! It really made this weekend (especially my first mother's day) much more relaxed and happy.

Thank you for your kind words and support--it was a really tough week, and it helped a lot.

Old 05-12-2003, 03:25 PM   #6
    Katiepops
    Inactive

Katiepops HB User
    Wink

Oh I am so happy for you!!!!!!I am glad everything is looking up!! Wait until next mothers day when you have that perfect beautiful baby!! Being a mom is the absoulute best!! Congratulations.

Closed Thread