It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• DS-Caring for middle aged adult

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2003, 08:57 AM   #1
    Cheyenne

Cheyenne HB User
    Post DS-Caring for middle aged adult

Hi, How many of you are caring for a middle age adult with DS or know someone who is? I would like to hear about your experiences.

Here are some of mine:

Im raising ( She is my child now)an unbelievable high function 52 year old female with DS and she's the only child.
    Her parents had her at age 42(mom-she died 1985) and 38(dad-died 1993). They were school teachers and raised her believing people are to catered to her.

Many times I have to remind myself that she is special and many years ago I felt she was misdiagnos.

She graduated from a business college,worked for 23 and 1/2 years in child care, I have to ask her how to spell some words, has an unbelieve memory for dates, can tell you all the juicy gossips of everyone she went to school with and her church members. she's an excellent reader. I have laughed with her and at her.
    She has made Doctors look foolish and dislike her because they looked at her DS and not the individual.

We have thyroid disease; she's hypo Im hyper.
    Her sight and hearing are failing and have faked blindness (her Drs told be her sight was completely gone-I told them I believe she's faking for Im a braillist) when we went back for her test results (eyes) I was told that she was blind. I asked the doctor to redo the chart test he did and became disgusted for she had fooled him and the test-LOL, LOL and deafness twice, also have physical and mental dementia (sp).

Her relatives dont want any parts of her and they dont call her. The same is true for her classmates and church members. I feel sorry for them for they are missing out on a truly great minded person and not a sneaky,deviously spoiled brat. (She is spoilled thats because she was and is loved).

I get stressed as to what I would do when she's gone. For, I have taken her to Bahamas, Florida plus 15 more states, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Haiti and St. Thomas and we had a ball.

A word of advice to you mothers: Teach them how to do things for themselves, learn their limitations, give them chores, teach right from wrong and love them love them love them. YOU WONT HAVE ANY REGRETS!

Cheyenne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2003, 10:26 AM   #2
    sunnyripple
    (female)

sunnyripple HB User
    Re: DS-Caring for middle aged adult

Have you looked into any assisted living programs in your area?

Closed Thread