It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• Markers for Downs

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2003, 09:21 AM   #1
    barbi

barbi HB User
    Post Markers for Downs

Hi Everyone,

First I want to say how inspiring this board is, what an incredible group of ladies you all are.

I am new to the board and really just have a question. First I will tell you just a little about myself. I am 37 years old and expecting my second baby, a girl, in January. We were supposed to have an amnio yesterday, but I am on aspirin once a day and heparin shots twice a day (for a blood clotting disorder)and didn't know I wasn't supposed to take them before the amnio. Anyway, the sonogram went great accept for one small issue. The Dr. found a 'soft' marker for downs. He said her pinky was curved in a little bit and a bit smaller. Now, my fingers are all messed up, double and triple jointed, and my pinky is curved in as well (as is my sons), so we are guessing that she is taking after me, but I do have some questions.

First, how often do soft markers, especially if there is only one, turn out to be downs? All other 'hard' markers turned out fine. Her heart is fine, kidneys are fine, ventricles in brain are fine. Facial features perfect, ears perfect, nose, perfect, etc. Even her little toes were perfect. Just the one marker.

Also, do the amount of markers found indicate the severity of the downs syndrome? What I mean is, if they find that the facial features are common for downs, and there is a heart problem, does that mean the downs is more severe? If they find a few soft markers, but nothing hard, and it does turn out to be downs, would it be a milder case?

I hope you all don't mind me asking all these questions, I just like to be prepared and know all the facts. We will love this baby no matter what, but I will feel much better for the rest of my pregnancy being prepared.

Thanks in advance!

Barbi
    cautiously expecting #2, 1/29/04

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2003, 10:56 AM   #2
    OurAngelAlicia
    Inactive

OurAngelAlicia HB User
    The amount of markers or whether they are physical or in the heart or brain makes no difference to how "severe" the down will be. There is no way to tell that until they start developing. My daughter had no markers on her ultrasound and I was only 18 when she was born and she came out with a surprise chromosome. She has continued surprising us ever since.

I would not worry at all about the pinkie thing if it runs in your family. I'd just wait and find out. Let us know what happens.

Old 10-03-2003, 10:18 PM   #3
    jeanlo

jeanlo HB User
    There are DS babies born with no ultrasound markers and some with many. I'm curious if a repeat ultrasound would show the same.Different facility. 90% of DS are mild to moderate retardation. Only 10% are severe. I wouldn't stress about the finger. Good luck

Closed Thread