It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• Short femur and humerus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-14-2003, 08:26 AM   #1
    megpie12

megpie12 HB User
    Post Short femur and humerus

I am 33 and will be 34 by the time we have our baby. My AFP came back at a 1:367 risk of DS. We have had 3 Level II ultrasounds so far (i am due in late November). We decided against the amnio based on the risk and the fact it would not change our mind as to whether or not we wanted this baby. We want this baby more than anything!!!!
    Anyway, our Level II's show the femur and humerus are measuring slightly behind the rest of the body (approx 1-2 weeks). All other body parts and organs look good and measure "on time". My husband and I are short (my hubby has short legs for sure!!!).
    My question is, i realize that short femur/humerus are a soft marker for Downs, but how much behind could be a significant marker??

[This message has been edited by megpie12 (edited 09-15-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2003, 08:29 AM   #2
    megpie12

megpie12 HB User
    I also need to add that I am currently 29 weeks along - we are due at the end of November.

Old 10-03-2003, 09:36 PM   #3
    jeanlo

jeanlo HB User
    Hi, I'm an ultrasonographer and I have a beautiful 3 year old with DS. Her femur and humerus dropped 1-2 weeks behind her abdomen and head. I noticed this at about 18 weeks.My AFP was screen negative. My daughter had a heart defect so DS was suspected and amnio confirmed. She's a delight and I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world.

Old 10-19-2003, 05:38 AM   #4
    Laura'sMom

Laura'sMom HB User
    Hi, I have a wonderful 7 yr daughter with DS. We found out that she had DS when I was 24 wks pregnant. I went into preterm labor and had an ultrasound and they discover that she had a blockage in her intestine and her femur and humerus were 1-2 weeks behind the rest of her body. My husband also has short legs. We had an amnio and it confirmed that she had DS and I wouldn't change one thing about her. My husband and I were given a very precious gift!!

Closed Thread