It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• 1:263 risk of DS, Please your ADVICE

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2003, 03:27 PM   #1
    concernedmama

concernedmama HB User
    Unhappy 1:263 risk of DS, Please your ADVICE

Hi to everyone. My doc called me, or the nurse rather, and told me that my triple screen tested positive for DS, and that I needed a Level 2 Ultrasound. I was in shock and agreed to the appointment that she had set up. I am 31 y/o , with 2 healthy children. How can this be. Should I be worried. The nurse was not much help in comforting me, just saying that I need this done. IS 1:263 a bad risk that I should be worried? can you give me your advice guys, I have had many sleepless nights just waiting for my Level 2 ultrasound to take place next week. Why cant they give it to me now! anwyway, Id appreciate some advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2003, 09:06 AM   #2
    Debdoo

Debdoo HB User
    Thumbs up

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gifAll I can say is I was 23 when I had my daughter who is now 20 and shes great she does and feels like every other 20 yr old.It was A shock to me at first I ad no idea! But she sure has made me a better person consider yourself lucky~I have 2 boys 13 and 25 their suppose to be Normal!!!!!HA HA!!!!!

Old 11-10-2003, 01:01 PM   #3
    maak823
    Inactive

maak823 HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by concernedmama
    Hi to everyone. My doc called me, or the nurse rather, and told me that my triple screen tested positive for DS, and that I needed a Level 2 Ultrasound. I was in shock and agreed to the appointment that she had set up. I am 31 y/o , with 2 healthy children. How can this be. Should I be worried. The nurse was not much help in comforting me, just saying that I need this done. IS 1:263 a bad risk that I should be worried? can you give me your advice guys, I have had many sleepless nights just waiting for my Level 2 ultrasound to take place next week. Why cant they give it to me now! anwyway, Id appreciate some advice.
    Dear Concerned-
    Wait until your ultrasound before you start worrying- Triple Screen tests have a known history of coming up with "false positive" results. I know from experience, that this is the case- in fact I think they are only about 85% effective. I had to wait for an amniocentisis before they would rule it out for sure. (That is the only positive way of knowing, btw).

I know it is hard- I went through "the waiting" which is the worst. My son is fine, however; my triple screen said differently.

Wait until you have a definate- and even then- well I have a friend with a DS Child- most loving, adorable child I have ever seen.

Good Luck!

Old 11-11-2003, 12:55 PM   #4
    tinarenee

tinarenee HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by concernedmama

Hi

I had the same thing happen to me. The doctor called me at 5 PM on a Friday night and told me to come for a ultrasound on monday at 11 AM. I spent the whole weekend worrying and throwing up. It showed no DS: just TWINS! Is it possible maybe you are having twins also?

Old 12-09-2003, 12:46 PM   #5
    PHlossy

PHlossy HB User
    Re: 1:263 risk of DS, Please your ADVICE

My son is now 10 yrs old. I had a 1:1800 risk at age 18.
    I was told that it was a "freak" thing for him to have it, because it was my first child, and we didn't have any tests done prior to his very early delivery. There was no history of it in my family or his dad's family.

My son has a very low IQ, but seems to be learning better than I expected and so far has not developed any serious medical problems. He is a bright and vibrant child.. i tend to think his brother of 6 yrs as the one that isn't normal =)

Good luck to you and your sweet little baby. I wish you and your family all the best.

Closed Thread