It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Down Syndrome Message Board

  • FISH test confusion...

  • Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 04-29-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
    jlross67
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Ohio
    Posts: 4
    jlross67 HB User
    FISH test confusion...

    Hi everyone, I'm new here and hope you can help. I am 21 weeks pregnant and my FISH test came back 90% normal and 10% with a "mosaic" pattern. I have no idea what to make of this. There is little to no information available on the FISH. The results of the amnio probably won't be back until early next week but it would be nice to know what this means. Help!

     
    Reply With Quote
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 05-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
    hanging
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    Join Date: May 2010
    Posts: 1
    hanging HB User
    Re: FISH test confusion...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlross67 View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm new here and hope you can help. I am 21 weeks pregnant and my FISH test came back 90% normal and 10% with a "mosaic" pattern. I have no idea what to make of this. There is little to no information available on the FISH. The results of the amnio probably won't be back until early next week but it would be nice to know what this means. Help!
    The FiSH test works by labeling specific chromosomes (by targeting unique DNA sequences in them). Because the point of FISH is to get a quick result they do not culture the cells the same way they do for full karyotyping [chromosome characterization] and thus, they do not necessarily "capture" the cells during the part of the cell cycle when they have exactly 23 pairs of chromosomes [called metaphase] and by necessity some of the cells will have more chromosomes [because they are caught in the stage of DNA replication before division]. Therefore, to be able to get a meaningful result they count the chromosomes present in a number of cells [in the hundreds]. The result you are quoting says that of the hundreds of cells they counted, 90% of them are normal. The remaining 10% showed mosaicism, which means that in those cells there have been chromosomal rearrangements. Since the amniotic cells are cells that have been shed, the way I would interpret these results is that that 10% is the precent of cells that are the oldest in terms of when they were shed by the fetus and are in either the process of dying -something totally normal, that's why they are shed...because the fetus doesn't need them. When cells die like this they do all kinds of crazy things and undergo dramatic changes -including changes to the chromosomes themselves.
    If my wife and I get these results we'd be jumping up and down with joy...

     
    Reply With Quote
    Reply Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Anyone else on 4000 mg of fish oil? nanciepants High Cholesterol 18 08-10-2009 05:58 PM
    Test results Benit Brain & Nervous System Disorders 26 12-21-2008 10:21 PM
    question about fish oil (pill form) annmg High Cholesterol 23 02-29-2008 10:07 PM
    Fish Oil & High Cholesterol PollyAnn High Cholesterol 13 08-30-2006 07:59 AM
    Could Fish oil be BAD? cicka Depression 32 08-10-2004 04:30 PM
    Normal Fish Test Result Another ?? haleysmum Down Syndrome 3 06-23-2004 03:02 AM
    Fish Oil*Friend or Foe? jerry78 High Cholesterol 19 11-27-2003 06:08 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:20 AM.





    2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!