HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Down Syndrome (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/down-syndrome/)
-   -   Levels in Down Syndrome? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/down-syndrome/619457-levels-down-syndrome.html)

sylviably 07-21-2008 12:49 PM

Levels in Down Syndrome?

Hello, I have a friend who has a child as having Down Syndrome. They have the child catagorized at Level 8. What does that mean, exactly? Impact of the condition? Thank you for any assistance in this matter...

Marie 123 07-27-2008 08:06 PM

Re: Levels in Down Syndrome?

Hi there,

Mmmmm..never heard of diagnostic levels and I have read alot on D.S.
Would also be interested in knowing what this is about.
Marie

Ticket 2 Heaven 07-28-2008 05:49 AM

I haven't heard of "levels" in DS either. I couldn't imagine anyone being able to diagnose what "level" the DS child is until he/she is an adult and really stops learning. Each child learns different things at a differnt pace.

moody318 09-09-2008 06:22 PM

I have son with DS and I have never heard of that...if she had a test done that measures the back of the neck...maybe it is referring to the thickness or something like that...I would have the doc clarify.

leia21 10-24-2008 07:13 AM

i have a woman who comes to my house on a wednesday shes called a portage worker and she rates wot level my down syndrome son is at too he is at level nine they rate this through how well they are doing how old is ur friends ds child? xx

moorings 10-27-2008 12:38 PM

[I]Hi , my son has DS and i was told when he was 6 days old although having all the tests done .. apparantely every doc assumed someone else had told me !! when he had the blood tests taken i was told he was borderline DS and i had no idea what the doc was talking about ?? and still don't really although i have looked it up !! :confused: [/I] i never knew there were levels !

librarykat2 06-29-2009 12:00 PM

How old is your child? They may be talking about low, moderate or high abilities within an age range. When my DS son was about 12, the teachers said he had learned as much as he ever would. This is rubbish. Don't ever let anyone tell you that because NOone ever stops learning until we are dead!

pitcherred 06-29-2009 12:23 PM

[QUOTE=moorings;3774561][I]Hi , my son has DS and i was told when he was 6 days old although having all the tests done .. apparantely every doc assumed someone else had told me !! when he had the blood tests taken i was told he was borderline DS and i had no idea what the doc was talking about ?? and still don't really although i have looked it up !! :confused: [/I] i never knew there were levels ![/QUOTE]

There are no levels of down syndrome, its an anomaly of the chromosomes. -however every individual whether with or without genetic discord, has abundance of other genetic and evironmental factors that influence one's abilities to function, learn and thrive in life. Infact DS individuals may possess good intellect, learning and rationalizing characters on par with normal intellect. Expressionism may be of a physical limitation leading normal people to think there is much less going up-stairs.