It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Down Syndrome Message Board

• Menstral cycle help.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-06-2014, 07:02 AM   #1
    Nina46
    (female)

Nina46 HB User
    Menstral cycle help.

Hi all, I have a 13 (soon to be 14) year old daughter with down syndrome. She got her period when she was 11, I was taken by total surprise and it took her a long time to get used to it, and the care of it has been very hard. My problem is that she has such a short cycle every 20 to22 days, so it seems as if we never get a break and it's becoming increasingly hard to manage it at school. I am thinking of ways to stop it soon. What has been your experience with pill,IUD, or patch? She can't have the shot due to bad bones she has a bone problem. I think of the pill but wonder if she would take it daily. What has worked best for you all?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #2
    sunshine61
    (female)

sunshine61 HB User
    Re: Menstral cycle help.

All I know is when my daughter was 20 my doctor decided to place her on a low mg birth control pill for menstral pain and to regulate her periods. 2 weeks in, she was hospitalized with multiple pulmonary embolisms and we almost lost her. Reason they said was the pill. Not saying it will happen to your daughter, but since then have heard other parents say there doctors have warned them that people with downs should never receive hormones or birth control decause of this happening more often with them.

Reply Reply