It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board

• Glucosamine and Nerve Pain

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #1
    Shadewalker
    (male)

Shadewalker HB User
    Glucosamine and Nerve Pain

I have been a "religious" user (1000 mg a day) of Glucosamine HCI for over 14 years without any adverse effects. I have taken it to help a bad knee from which I had to have the lateral meniscus removed almost 40 year ago. It has been of great help over the years in delaying the day I have to have the joint replaced. However, last Fall (09/2014) I somehow injured my back and it was diagnosed as a herniated disk (my second one in 3 years in the L4/L5/S1 area. Luckily, no surgery was required and the loss of function I experienced this last time in my right calf cleared up with physical therapy. Since the back injury, I am unable to take even 500 mg of Glucosamine HCI a day without nerve pain developing in my left foot. Whenever I try to ramp up the Glucosamine, the pain increases. I take an occasional Tramadol at bedtime to take the edge off of the non-debilitating pain. It subsides within a day or two of discontinuing the Glucosamine. Has anyone experienced this? Can anyone explain the physiology? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    back, glucosamine, nerve, pain