It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board

I'm addicted to Afrin nasal spray


Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2017, 02:42 PM   #16
kittenxo
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 20
kittenxo HB User
Re: I'm addicted to Afrin nasal spray

also, do you think i should order a steam inhaler ? maybe i can use that to get me through the day

 
Reply With Quote
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 07-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #17
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 4,507
quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: I'm addicted to Afrin nasal spray

Hi....talked to by BIL and he said he doesn't remember being on aloe vera spray. Sigh. But he gave much more info about his dependency on Otrivin.

To my shock, he was using it every half hour!!!!! 1% strength .

His process took 2 months to get off it....and this is how he did it:
Once the bottle got down a little bit, he kept adding more saline. It wasnt in measured doses.....just kept topping it off with saline. So he clearly kept upnwith using it as often as he felt he needed it, but it got farther and farther apart. So, you're doing well on the 7 or 8 hours schedule.

The steamer might help, but that's more for loosening congestion.

Are you taking any supplements?

Drinking tea might help....seems to during colds for me.

So, i can't answer the aloe vera spray....i apologise. Maybe there are options in health stores?
What solution of product do you use in the NetPot?

What about a natural diuretic? Possibly midol?

q
__________________
It's all a matter of perspective!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by quincy; 07-23-2017 at 09:50 AM.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:24 AM   #18
kittenxo
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 20
kittenxo HB User
Re: I'm addicted to Afrin nasal spray

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
Hi....talked to by BIL and he said he doesn't remember being on aloe vera spray. Sigh. But he gave much more info about his dependency on Otrivin.

To my shock, he was using it every half hour!!!!! 1% strength .

His process took 2 months to get off it....and this is how he did it:
Once the bottle got down a little bit, he kept adding more saline. It wasnt in measured doses.....just kept topping it off with saline. So he clearly kept upnwith using it as often as he felt he needed it, but it got farther and farther apart. So, you're doing well on the 7 or 8 hours schedule.

The steamer might help, but that's more for loosening congestion.

Are you taking any supplements?

Drinking tea might help....seems to during colds for me.

So, i can't answer the aloe vera spray....i apologise. Maybe there are options in health stores?
What solution of product do you use in the NetPot?

What about a natural diuretic? Possibly midol?

q
i lasted 15 hours and then another but now i am needing it more like before i lasted only 5 hours. I'm not sure how or why i lasted longer. i truly thought i was done with afrin but i wasn't and it got worse again. i keep filling it with saline. did he suffer a lot ? sometimes i spray the farina once and even twice and it doesn't even do anything. this is truly awful. i thought for sure i would't need it any more because 15 hours i did't use it and only slept 4 hours before i woke up with a clogged nose. i'm not sure why the diluted farina isn't helping rn. i am such a mess and today is day 5 and i am about to sleep. i feel the need to spray but am trying to sleep as long as i can so i don't spray it. for the nets pot i use cvs store brand. i may try to drink some tea, maybe ginger in it too. this is such a struggle and i wish i could go cold turkey but cannot due to major panic attacks when my nose is 100% clogged. wish me luck when i get surgery lol... i have used afrin for about 6-7 months. is my nose as damaged as someone whose used it for years ? maybe mine can heal faster then two months like your brother in law. i really need this to end and may have to try the one nose solution which i feel when i spray the spray, one nose stays clogged

Last edited by kittenxo; 07-24-2017 at 03:25 AM.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:27 AM   #19
kittenxo
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 20
kittenxo HB User
Re: I'm addicted to Afrin nasal spray

also i forgot to add, what would be the best solution for the neti pot would a humidifier help my nose when clogged ?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:34 AM   #20
kittenxo
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 20
kittenxo HB User
Re: I'm addicted to Afrin nasal spray

one more thing, can a doctor do a steroid injection in my nose to reduce swelling ? i know they do that after surgery for ur nose, but could my doctor inject my nose and it helps the swelling go down and maybe i won't need the spray

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:51 AM   #21
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 4,507
quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: I'm addicted to Afrin nasal spray

Hi...it took him a full 2 months to wean off the otrivin, so it seems he did it slowly. Suffering is subjective, but I remember it was a difficult process for him.

Humidifiers need to be thoroughly cleaned....often...religiously....or other issues such as mould or bacteria can cause worse problems.
I quit using them years ago.

I do use NeilMed nasal rinse bottle system....the dry ingredients are in a package so it's always measured correctly. I mix it with warmed (microwaved) filtered water, or you can use distilled.

Have you seen an ENT yet?

Have you tried a nasal gel.... neilmed has nasagel. That might help as well.

I don't know about the steroid shots in the nose....you could try accupressure and maybe accupuncture.

I think a visual check would be best to know what you're dealing with. There have been other members here suffering with swollen passages and turbinates that need surgery to remove the congested tissue. I forget what it's called, and I'm not saying that's what you have. But it should be checked out thoroughly.

Have you tried the pseudoephedrine sudafed?

Oh...i was wondering if a med such as singulair could be of help.

q
__________________
It's all a matter of perspective!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by quincy; 07-25-2017 at 07:54 AM.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #22
kittenxo
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 20
kittenxo HB User
Re: I'm addicted to Afrin nasal spray

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
Hi...it took him a full 2 months to wean off the otrivin, so it seems he did it slowly. Suffering is subjective, but I remember it was a difficult process for him.

Humidifiers need to be thoroughly cleaned....often...religiously....or other issues such as mould or bacteria can cause worse problems.
I quit using them years ago.

I do use NeilMed nasal rinse bottle system....the dry ingredients are in a package so it's always measured correctly. I mix it with warmed (microwaved) filtered water, or you can use distilled.

Have you seen an ENT yet?

Have you tried a nasal gel.... neilmed has nasagel. That might help as well.

I don't know about the steroid shots in the nose....you could try accupressure and maybe accupuncture.

I think a visual check would be best to know what you're dealing with. There have been other members here suffering with swollen passages and turbinates that need surgery to remove the congested tissue. I forget what it's called, and I'm not saying that's what you have. But it should be checked out thoroughly.

Have you tried the pseudoephedrine sudafed?

Oh...i was wondering if a med such as singulair could be of help.

q
I do not think i need to see another ENT. all they give is a spray and a prescription. i tried them both and it did absolutely nothing. i realized why i was getting bad again. someone suggested i buy vicks vaporinhalor which has a rebound just like afrin which is most likely why i was getting bad again. i went from not spraying it for 15 hours and then started spraying it every 6-8. i stopped using the vicks product which does say on the product that you can use it as much as needed. i started the sudafed yesterday. i feel no relief. surprisingly when i was drinking lemonade, that helped me breathe. it's strange. i sprayed it before i fell asleep and didn't need it for 10 hours. when i woke up i sprayed it and haven't used it in 4 hours now. i can sort of breathe but not 100%. i am going to try to not spray it until my nose is fully clogged. i think i may try the one nostril method but i don't really know if i can handle that. how often did he spray his nose with the diluted spray ? i feel like i need it after 3-4 hours but can handle not using it for up to 8 the least. i am trying for 11 or 12 hours today. i hope this is working.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:01 AM   #23
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 4,507
quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: I'm addicted to Afrin nasal spray

Hi...vicks stick inhaler has no rebound effect that I know of since it has no decongestant chemical, but it could be that your nose just got more irritated from it since it actually is an irritant for some.

You have a good plan....what's the diluted afrin amount now?

q
__________________
It's all a matter of perspective!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:23 PM   #24
kittenxo
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 20
kittenxo HB User
Re: I'm addicted to Afrin nasal spray

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
Hi...vicks stick inhaler has no rebound effect that I know of since it has no decongestant chemical, but it could be that your nose just got more irritated from it since it actually is an irritant for some.

You have a good plan....what's the diluted afrin amount now?

q
I am trying to do the 1 nose at a time method since the diluted spray was showing no result. i currently doing the left nostril first since the right is much worse for some reason. the dilution method takes way to long and i was suffering for 8 days and barely breathing through one nose. It hasn't even been 24 hours yet from not spraying the other nose and it's not so bad. i know the right one is much worse for some apparent reason. this has been the worst experience of my life i am going to have to suffer because this nasal spray drug ruined my nose. i am only using the diluted spray in my right so i hope it won't be as effective as 100% afrin. i hope my left nose doesn't get clogged 100% because then that would make me need to spray it again.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:24 PM   #25
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 4,507
quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: I'm addicted to Afrin nasal spray

Showing lots of improvement! Good to hear!
q
__________________
It's all a matter of perspective!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:37 AM   #26
kittenxo
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 20
kittenxo HB User
Re: I'm addicted to Afrin nasal spray

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
Showing lots of improvement! Good to hear!
q

I am almost at the 24 hour mark of not using the spray in one nose. I slept fine until i woke up clogged in my left nostril. I sprayed my right two times. I have a silly question, when you spray your right nose, can any of it get in your left ? I didn't feel any go into my left but once i sprayed my right nose twice, about two minutes later i felt a tiny bit better in the other nose. I really hope my right nose being sprayed isn't affecting my left. i am trying so hard right now to get fully off of it but this method is much better then full cold turkey.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #27
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 4,507
quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: I'm addicted to Afrin nasal spray

Hi....maybe it's possible for it to be breathed into the other and have some effect...depending where the inflammation is.

Are you using straight afrin? If yes, i would suggest only one spray.

q
__________________
It's all a matter of perspective!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:25 PM   #28
kittenxo
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 20
kittenxo HB User
Re: I'm addicted to Afrin nasal spray

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
Hi....maybe it's possible for it to be breathed into the other and have some effect...depending where the inflammation is.

Are you using straight afrin? If yes, i would suggest only one spray.

q
I am using only the diluted spray in my right and i don't feel any afrin going into my other nose. I really hope it's not going in there. even spraying my right nose doesn't really do much unless it's 2-3 sprays but it's the very diluted spray. i don't have a bottle of afrin without mostly saline spray. i will be devastated if it's going into my other nose. i would probably give up doing this and go straight back to the spray 100% because i cannot take this much longer. it's been 10 days or misery. i don't think the spray is getting into the other nose. i don't really think that is possible at all but i feel relief sometimes when i spray my right. but i don't feel any of the spray entering my left so do you think that it's just in my head ?

Last edited by kittenxo; 07-27-2017 at 07:29 PM.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:09 PM   #29
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 4,507
quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: I'm addicted to Afrin nasal spray

Oh wow.....please dont. Giving up because of your established time line will set you up for a bigger disappointment and regret that you should have stuck with it.

Have you had xrays or an MRI done of your sinuses?

q
__________________
It's all a matter of perspective!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:20 AM   #30
kittenxo
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 20
kittenxo HB User
Re: I'm addicted to Afrin nasal spray

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
Oh wow.....please dont. Giving up because of your established time line will set you up for a bigger disappointment and regret that you should have stuck with it.

Have you had xrays or an MRI done of your sinuses?

q
I think i need to get some done. it has been three full days in about an hour and a half that my left nose has been sprayed and it hasn't healed. i thin there is something much more wrong which wouldn't make sense but should see and ENT asap. i was told it takes 3 days for my nose to be able to breathe again and i wouldn't need the afrin again. my mum went through this and she went full cold turkey. my left nose was cold turkey for days and it's pretty much the same. my right nose gets barely any relief from my spray anymore and dont know how much longer i can do this. three says is all it should take for my left one to be clear. i have not used a drop of the bad afrin spray at all in the left. what could be wrong ? this is truly the worst experience of my entire life and is ruining me slowly. my anxiety is through the roof that i need to sometimes take a few xanax to calm me down. i don't know how muc more i can take of this. i didn't even start my right now because my left isn't healing

Last edited by kittenxo; 07-29-2017 at 06:23 AM.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply Reply




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:58 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2017 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!