It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board

I'm addicted to Afrin nasal spray

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2017, 09:29 AM   #31
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: I'm addicted to Afrin nasal spray

I agree....it's like it's stuck in that mode. Have you looked into your nostrils....and is there any swelling that you can see, redness or anything wonky (for lack of a better word).

Please keep me updated.
q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2017, 11:29 AM   #32
kittenxo
(female)

kittenxo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
I agree....it's like it's stuck in that mode. Have you looked into your nostrils....and is there any swelling that you can see, redness or anything wonky (for lack of a better word).

Please keep me updated.
q
i don't think i see swelling. it has been 5 days since i have sprayed afrin in my left nostril. it has not heale done bit and clogs up extremely. i am only 18 and cannot go to the doctor again. my mother says he won't help but i believe i have something terribly wrong with my nose. it doesn't take 5 full days to be able to breathe again and it heal. i don't know what could be wrong. i won't be able to see a doctor so i may just use the spray again since it won't seem to heal ever and i give up completely. well i will very soon. i wake up stuffed up. i get panic attacks so constantly, i feel like i am suffocating. i truly do not know what to do. i won't be able to see a doctor and my nose is not healed at all which makes no sense. i am truly about to give up hope. this is not fair that i am suffering and trying to fix this problem, but it won't heal at all for me so what's the point ? waking up and having extreme panic attacks w/o any more of my prescription anxiety meds. this is the wrost thing i have ever gone thro. i think it's been two full weeks of complete torture. why is thos happening to me ? i am not improving at all and haven't sprayed my nose in 5 days. this is not possible i don't think. everyone i have heard that has gone thro this heals quick like 2-3 days but it's been 5 and it's not even healed one bit. why me ? i am getting hopeless.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:27 AM   #33
kittenxo
(female)

kittenxo HB User

6 full days of not spraying it in my left and it has not healed one bit. clearly the spray destoryed my nose permanently even tho i used it for 7 months. this doens't make any sense why it hasn't healed in the left. i'm done. i have suffered longer then anyone i know

Last edited by Administrator; 08-01-2017 at 09:28 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to kittenxo:
quincy (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 09:10 AM   #34
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I'm not clear on why you can't see the doctor again....you need further testing with a scope and x-rays and a nasal swab to see if younhave anything else going on.

What is it you are doing consistently....such as neti pot, sudafed, etc, except spraying with diluted Afrin in your other nostril?

Have you tried nasagel?

q

Old 08-01-2017, 09:19 AM   #35
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Dear kittenxo,

Be patient with your body, it's the only one you can live in. Your body is being totally normal for what you have been doing to it. It will recover, but not until you stop abusing it. It doesn't deserve what you did to it. Yes, you can stop abusing your body and your body will recover. Misuse of decongestant or antihistamine will wear off only after you treat your body right and give it time your body needs to recover. Throw the Afrin and nasal drugs away. Six full days are nothing because you never really stopped abusing your body yet. Just wait it out. The body isn't a machine that we can turn on and off. Allow your body to recover. It totally will.

I have naively got myself in your predicament, too. So, I know how awful it is. I had a terrible awakening in my thirties when I had a very severe head cold and congestion, so wanting to be able to breathe thru my nose I just kept spraying it in my nostrils until my sinuses swelled so much that my head felt stuffed with cotton. I had no clue that would happen. I could breathe thru my mouth just fine, but not being able to breathe thru my sinuses felt like I was smothering to death. Of course that was not true. A friend told me that decongestant - antihistamine drugs are not to be used like I had used it, and the ONLY solution was to cold turkey stop using it and allow the swollen and irritated tissue to recover. It was really scary and uncomfortable to breathe only through my mouth until the swelling finally went down.

I do really feel for you, because you were dealing with a snowball and now it's seems like an avalanche. But it's a mental avalanche no one can make you step out of except your self. Rather than suffering anxiety, it seems more like you are impatient and that you expect nearly instant results. Part of growing up is learning to wait. Wait to heal, wait to eat at appropriate times, wait to sleep, wait to find the right job or career, wait to find the right mate, wait to have children, wait to save up for a vacation, etc. We can think we are not supposed to have to wait for anything. Anxiety is treated like it's a disease, when really it comes from an attitude of thinking we deserve instant results when in fact every person in the world has to wait for results. Realizing this fact is part of growing up. You are normal and your body is normal in its reaction to the substance you used.

No one else will or can assume responsibility for the way we chose to use a substance. I know, often we don't really read labels or pay attention to warnings, but it's completely on us when we don't. Learn this now, sweetheart. It will save you a LOT of possibly worse experiences in your life.

You may as well bite the bullet and just stop abusing your body. Your sinuses will recover. and the process won't be nearly as bad as what you have been doing to yourself.

Love & hugs

Old 08-03-2017, 10:45 AM   #36
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kitten....how are you today?

q

Reply Reply