It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board

I'm addicted to Afrin nasal spray

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #1
kittenxo
(female)

kittenxo HB User
I'm addicted to Afrin nasal spray

I have been suffering for a short time, 6-7 months, of being very dependent on afrin. i was using it every 2-3 hours. i would wake up in the middle of the night to spray my nose. I tried not using it. I cannot go cold turkey. it would kill me and i cannot stand the anxiety and panic attacks i get from not being able to breathe. I am trying this method by diluting the spray with simple saline spray. it's a little less them half afrin and the rest saline spray. I don't know if this is going to work. I am suffering still which i hope that means it is working. it has only been a day. has anyone else done this and has it worked ? i cannot not breathe. i would be a total mess and please do not say that completely getting off of it is the only way because i believe it isn't. also, how much spray should i use when i am clogged up and need a spray ? i was using 3-4 sprays of pure afrin but with the saline in it, i use 1-2. i try to use 1 which helps sometimes but sometimes i need two. i will not use more then 2. i am suffering with a lot of anxiety but i can actually breathe. please someone tell me if this will work and that my nose will start to heal and i won't need spray and need it less and less. also, how much do you think i should use the spray and how much in each nose ? thanks

Last edited by kittenxo; 07-20-2017 at 10:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: I'm addicted to Afrin nasal spray

You shouldnt need to use nose spray at all...please visit your primary care physician and talk to them about what is blocking your nose/ breathing. You are aggravating your sinus's with using this and the dependent feeling is one which you are causing yourself, because the drug in the spray is addictive. It can also irritate your sinus's with long term use (which is why it says not to use for more than 7 days on the instructions).

If you really want to stop using it, please visit your doctor and have an honest conversation with him/ her. let them help you get your sinus's under control and you wont have the anxiety that you cant breathe., You really are putting yourself in this position by using the spray so often.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #3
sweetpotato13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

I was addicted to Afrin and this is what helped me. I stopped spraying just one nostril.
What you have is a rebound affect from all of the Afrin. If you can tolerate one nostril being clear while the other is stuffed and recuperating, this will absolutely help you.
Once the first nostril that you stop spraying is clear or at least better, then stop spraying the other nostril. At this point you will be using no spray. By the end of that time both nostrils should have at least recovered from the rebound affect of the nasal spray. I was using Afrin many times each day for several years, and this helped me.

Last edited by sweetpotato13; 07-20-2017 at 01:09 PM.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

My sister used Nasalcrom to help wean her off Afrin.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #5
kittenxo
(female)

kittenxo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
You shouldnt need to use nose spray at all...please visit your primary care physician and talk to them about what is blocking your nose/ breathing. You are aggravating your sinus's with using this and the dependent feeling is one which you are causing yourself, because the drug in the spray is addictive. It can also irritate your sinus's with long term use (which is why it says not to use for more than 7 days on the instructions).

If you really want to stop using it, please visit your doctor and have an honest conversation with him/ her. let them help you get your sinus's under control and you wont have the anxiety that you cant breathe., You really are putting yourself in this position by using the spray so often.
i have heard from many people that what i am doing helps but takes about a week. it is actually helping me but has only been a day. it is mostly saline spray so the afrin is barely in it. the doctors don't do anything but give a steroid spray and some pills which do nothing but make you suffer more. the way i am doing it, i only suffer a little. i cannot breathe without any spray and i am using it less.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Saline spray is safer than Afrin; however, there may be a medical reason why you feel you need to use it. I would still get your sinus's checked- make sure you havent damaged yourself by overusing the drug and find out why you are so stuffy to begin with!

I was not suggesting what you are doing isnt better than using Afrin, I am simply suggesting you find out what is wrong with your nose which makes you feel like you can't breathe.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:56 AM   #7
kittenxo
(female)

kittenxo HB User

so far the diluted spray is helping me already on day 2 and don't need the spray as much. i lasted 6 hours this time which is a miracle. i relaly hope this continues because if it works 100%, i will be able to help people suffering like i did. i am suffering probably only 35% unlike going cold turkey which is more like 100%. the anxiety is still there when i cannot breathe correctly, but i am managing this more then i thought. i hope this works !! afrin is no joke. it is an addictive drug that causes so much damage and i am lucky i am weaning off of it

Old 07-21-2017, 10:48 AM   #8
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

It's addictive in the way that it causes extreme rebound congestion, and the not being able to breathe from our noses is extremely anxiety producing.....especially when we know there's something that could help in the moment.

What's the reason you started using it in the first place?

Your idea of weaning off is a good one. Tomorrow, dilute it a bit more since you are showing improvement. Use a regular saline in between the afrin that's diluted.

You could try a systemic decongestant such as Sudafed PE. The 12 hour one taken just once a day will help during your worst days.

Keep us posted how you're doing.

q

Last edited by quincy; 07-21-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:43 PM   #9
kittenxo
(female)

kittenxo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
It's addictive in the way that it causes extreme rebound congestion, and the not being able to breathe from our noses is extremely anxiety producing.....especially when we know there's something that could help in the moment.

What's the reason you started using it in the first place?

Your idea of weaning off is a good one. Tomorrow, dilute it a bit more since you are showing improvement. Use a regular saline in between the afrin that's diluted.

You could try a systemic decongestant such as Sudafed PE. The 12 hour one taken just once a day will help during your worst days.

Keep us posted how you're doing.

q
do you know anyone that has tried what i have done ? do you know how long it takes ? i lasted 7 hours and only used one spray but i still cannot breathe that well after 4 hours so i try to spray my nose with just saline or use neti pot. i only want to use 1 spray but sometimes i use 2-3. how much can i use the diluted spray ? i try to use it as little as possible but can that little of afrin in the mixed diluted spray affect my nose anymore ? thanks !

Old 07-22-2017, 10:10 AM   #10
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Dilution or weaning down is a common withdrawal method.
For dependency on whatever, it could be a very long process.

I also strongly suggest you seeing an ENT to make sure you don't have something else going on in your sinuses or nasal passages. Sometimes the rebound just stays and doesnt recover...like an autoimmune reaction.
You should have MRI or CT or xrays or whatever to get a complete picture of that area....because you might need different treatment. I also suggest you get nasal swabs of both nostrils..separate...to check for staph or strep infection.

It is also possible you are allergic to something IN the spray solution. Inused tonuse Otrivin before bedtime. I never had rebound infection and saved further use when I had a cold. But my best med was the Sudafed with pseudoephedrine, not the PE. The Otrivin was off the shelf for over 2 years....and when it returned, something in it caused a snotty nose. So, I use it very sparingly if my sinuses are blocked for whatever reason and for a cold.

You could try nasalcrom which can help lessen the inflammation reaction.

Again....why did you start using the afrin in the first place?

q

Old 07-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #11
kittenxo
(female)

kittenxo HB User

Quote:
Dilution or weaning down is a common withdrawal method.
For dependency on whatever, it could be a very long process.

I also strongly suggest you seeing an ENT to make sure you don't have something else going on in your sinuses or nasal passages. Sometimes the rebound just stays and doesnt recover...like an autoimmune reaction.
You should have MRI or CT or xrays or whatever to get a complete picture of that area....because you might need different treatment. I also suggest you get nasal swabs of both nostrils..separate...to check for staph or strep infection.

It is also possible you are allergic to something IN the spray solution. Inused tonuse Otrivin before bedtime. I never had rebound infection and saved further use when I had a cold. But my best med was the Sudafed with pseudoephedrine, not the PE. The Otrivin was off the shelf for over 2 years....and when it returned, something in it caused a snotty nose. So, I use it very sparingly if my sinuses are blocked for whatever reason and for a cold.

You could try nasalcrom which can help lessen the inflammation reaction.

Again....why did you start using the afrin in the first place?

q

I started using this spray because of a nasty cold i had. i have used it before but not for long and never was addicted. i lasted 8 hours without it this time which is good but when i sprayed my nose this morning, it didn't work. how long can this method take ? i think i am improving and i don't know how much longer i can take. i believe this spray and others like it should be off the market for good. it has ruined my life and i am trying so hard not to use it. i am trying so many other things not to use the spray but it is so hard. i only used two sprays today and it didn't do much. one nose is always staying clogged and every time i try to sleep, the side i am on is the nose that gets stuffed up so i can't breathe. this is the worst thing i am going through right now and wish i could sue them for destroying my nose but i can't. is there anything at a drug store i can use to help me breathe ? please provide a list if you have a few. i am trying so hard to get off of this spray. i have never had more anxiety over not breathing in my life.

Last edited by kittenxo; 07-22-2017 at 10:18 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to kittenxo:
quincy (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #12
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

There are warnings on those products, and it's up to us to heed them. If you were neglectful in seeing your doctor for a really bad cold and if it was a sinus infection or allergy reaction or something else, using the Afrin over and above recommendation wouldn't be the fault of the manufacturer.

I feel your anguish, and lesson learned to be sure. My brother in-law had the same problem with otrivin using it for like 15 years (he was in autobody work and his sinuses were fried). He got off it by using an aloe spray purchased from a health store. He went cold turkey tho.

Do you have high blood pressure? Do you have allergies? And have you tried allergy medication?

Hang tough....this will be a difficult process, but you need to do more to find out what else could be going on.

Do not use more than one spray per nostril. How much of the dilution are you using now?

q

Old 07-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #13
kittenxo
(female)

kittenxo HB User

Quote:
There are warnings on those products, and it's up to us to heed them. If you were neglectful in seeing your doctor for a really bad cold and if it was a sinus infection or allergy reaction or something else, using the Afrin over and above recommendation wouldn't be the fault of the manufacturer.

I feel your anguish, and lesson learned to be sure. My brother in-law had the same problem with otrivin using it for like 15 years (he was in autobody work and his sinuses were fried). He got off it by using an aloe spray purchased from a health store. He went cold turkey tho.

Do you have high blood pressure? Do you have allergies? And have you tried allergy medication?

Hang tough....this will be a difficult process, but you need to do more to find out what else could be going on.

Do not use more than one spray per nostril. How much of the dilution are you using now?

q
I went to my ENT and i have deviated septum but it wasn't the cause of me being stuffy. i was able to breathe before i had a bad cold and afrin helped me and i did read the back but never thought using it for 7 days would hurt but i hooked quickly. i am trying my best to not even use the spray now. it didn't help and i had about a little more then 1/4 afrin but the rest is simply saline spray which i tried using when i didn't use the mixed spray but makes me more clogged. i tried net pot which helped once but then clogged my nose so bad i had to use the spray because the net pot messed up my breathing. what kind of aloe spray is good do you think ? should i also purchase sedafed 12 hours ? i have the 4 hour one that really doesn't do anything. i took a hot shower for 20 mins and one of my nostrils was clogged the whole time. this is the hardest thing ever. i was addicted to xanax and this is ever harder to wean off of in my opinion. after my nose heals and is back to normal, i am going to get my nose fixed because of the deviated septum which has never caused me any breathing problems. i also do not have high blood pressure, i was just checked about 5 days ago and my blood pressure is normal. i do not have allergies either and when i thought i did i tried allergy medication that did absolutely nothing but waste my money since they are extremely expensive. did the aloe spray help him breathe ?

Last edited by kittenxo; 07-22-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #14
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi... I'll talk with my brother-in-law this weekend and ask him if he remembers what he used. I would try the 12-hour Sudafed... The one that is pseudoephedrine... But don't use it any more then the 12 hours for a couple of days. The one that's 4 hours, is that the one called PE?

Last edited by quincy; 07-22-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:30 PM   #15
kittenxo
(female)

kittenxo HB User

Quote:
Hi... I'll talk with my brother-in-law this weekend and ask him if he remembers what he used. I would try the 12-hour Sudafed... The one that is pseudoephedrine... But don't use it any more then the 12 hours for a couple of days. The one that's 4 hours, is that the one called PE?

ok thanks and i think so. i had a steriod nasal spray and i tried it and did nothing. my nose was so clogged up, that i had to spray the diluted afrin. i last a little over 6 hours which is good but was extremely stuffy most of the time. i sprayed it only once and i can breathe. will the diluted spray lean me off afrin today is day three and i see a little progress by me lasting longer but i still can barely breathe after a bit. by using it less and that it's mostly saline, will that help me get off in about a week maybe ? this is killing me slowly and wish it was done with. i wish i did have extreme anxiety/panic disorder or i could cold turkey it. thank you for answering and helping, i really appreciate it.

Reply Reply