It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board

Proper way to stop blood thinner?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #1
StayFit42
(male)

StayFit42 HB User
Proper way to stop blood thinner?

My Dad was recently prescribed a blood thinner that costs a fortune. It was only about a week ago that he started taking it after doctors found that he has Atrial Flutter. Now the doctor has informed him that he could get an electrical shock treatment called Cardioversion that is supposed to fix the flutter problem and eliminate the need for the blood thinner.

I've read that it's dangerous to simply stop taking a blood thinner because the sudden change could actually cause a blood clot. If it's not safe to stop "cold turkey", is there some other way that is safe?

Also, would the body have become "addicted" to the blood thinner after only 1 month to the point that there would be a negative reaction after discontinuing it?

Last edited by StayFit42; 08-10-2018 at 01:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Proper way to stop blood thinner?

They will wean him off it when the time comes for the procedure.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #3
StayFit42
(male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
They will wean him off it when the time comes for the procedure.
I've read that they actually give the patient a dose of it just before the procedure rather than try to wean them off. Either way though, my dad just wants to stop taking it and wants to do this procedure so he won't need to take it anymore. But we both suspect that even after the procedure, the doctor will say, "continue taking the blood thinner, just to be on the safe side", without regard to the cost. He just wants to stop taking it, but we both want him to do so safely.

When I google the subject, most of what I find are statements like, "Never stop taking blood thinners without talking to your doctor first".

Old 08-10-2018, 05:27 PM   #4
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

When you do not trust or agree with a doctor consult other doctors outside of that medical group to get opinion.

Doctors are just human beings, and they all have opinions.

Also, talk to your pharmacist and ask about safe and less expensive alternatives.
Even a generic may be as safe and effective. I always ask the pharmacists and often learn about effective over the counter drugs/substances.

Last edited by YaYagirl; 08-10-2018 at 06:05 PM.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #5
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Then he needs to talk with his doctor about all this. Sounds like he didn't tell the doctor he wanted the procedure. But it isn't clear to me. He needs to find out the correct way to do this. And keep in mind, he's free to not take any medication he doesn't want to...he should just be sure how to get off it. I'm sure the doctor will tell him his preferred way to go about this. Seems he really hasn't had an in depth discussion with the doctor about all this...

Old 08-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #6
StayFit42
(male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaYagirl View Post
When you do not trust or agree with a doctor consult other doctors outside of that medical group to get opinion.

Doctors are just human beings, and they all have opinions.

Also, talk to your pharmacist and ask about safe and less expensive alternatives.
Even a generic may be as safe and effective. I always ask the pharmacists and often learn about effective over the counter drugs/substances.
Unfortunately, there is no generic version available for the blood thinner he was prescribed. The doctor said there probably won't be for about another 13 years.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
StayFit42
(male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Then he needs to talk with his doctor about all this. Sounds like he didn't tell the doctor he wanted the procedure. But it isn't clear to me. He needs to find out the correct way to do this. And keep in mind, he's free to not take any medication he doesn't want to...he should just be sure how to get off it. I'm sure the doctor will tell him his preferred way to go about this. Seems he really hasn't had an in depth discussion with the doctor about all this...
He hasn't told the doctor about wanting to do the procedure yet. It's just been me and my dad talking it over and me looking up information online. I was with him during his doctor appointments to learn what I could and to ask questions. Of course, there has to be time afterward to consider everything. Right now, my dad and I think that the cardioversion procedure might be the best idea rather than staying on blood thinners for the rest of his life. As for how to stop taking the thinners, he hasn't talked to the doctor about it yet. I just thought I'd ask about it here in case anyone has experience and knowledge they'd like to share if they've discontinued a blood thinner.

Old 08-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #8
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

To discontinueda blood thinner, wean off slowly, a little less every few days. Blood thinners are to prevent blood clots that can cause a heart attack.

Make sure that a doctor agrees it is safe to stop taking it, before he weans off. It normally will be out of his system in a few days after completely stopping the drug.

But please do not stop unless agreed by a doctor.

Last edited by YaYagirl; 08-11-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #9
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Cardioversion has it's own side effects and is not the answer for everyone...your dad needs to discuss if he is even a candidate for cardioversion.

In the mean time, please do not try to wean him off of the drug his doctor put him on by yourself. He was prescribed the drug for an important reason and until his doctor tells him if he is a candidate for the procedure, he needs to stay on it. The doctor will then tell you how to wean him off it and watch as it happens so that he doesnt have any unfortunate side effects.

If you try to do this by yourself without his doctor's knowledge, you are putting your father in a harmful situation. Listen to the doctor and discuss alternatives such as cardioversion before you do anything.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #10
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dear StayFit42,

I am a firm believer that medical doctors are all about prescription medicine. That is their focus. We who do not want medication side effects have reasonable alternatives. To me, the one alternative is with a need for antibiotics. That is short term med and is necessary for some infections. Medications are not health foods, though many doctors consider them that way. We do need to consider side effects and alternatives in order to make a healthy decision right for the individual. Your dad is blessed to have you looking out for him, as many people get railroaded to think meds are always the answer.

Years after not knowing I got hepatitis C from a blood transfusion, had I been taking every drug I was offered by very well meaning doctors my liver would have been destroyed. As it was, I always selected the most benign treatments and that saved my liver. Drugs do indeed have side effects. they are not health foods and it's good that you recognize that. You can always choose to take a drug, but cannot always overcome the side effects so it's good to be careful.

Perhaps dad wants to consult with an alternative medicine doctor just to get other opinion. I will be praying for you and him to know what to choose & whether to have the procedure.

Love,

Last edited by YaYagirl; 08-12-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Reply Reply

« Xaletro | - »