It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board

• Spironolactone vs. Bactrim

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2004, 05:19 PM   #1
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User
    Spironolactone vs. Bactrim

I have been curious lately about the safety of using spironolactone to control acne in a 16 yr old vs using Bactrim long term. She's been on Bactrim for 2 years. I'm thinking of having her liver tested just to be safe. She's not really under a doctor's care right now for this condition since she doesn't like talking about it. My gut is telling me that the spiro would be safer. I know I need to talk with a doctor about this but I'm curious right now .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2004, 01:38 PM   #2
    kelker11

kelker11 HB User
    Re: Spironolactone vs. Bactrim

Quote:
    Originally Posted by skimom
    I have been curious lately about the safety of using spironolactone to control acne in a 16 yr old vs using Bactrim long term. She's been on Bactrim for 2 years. I'm thinking of having her liver tested just to be safe. She's not really under a doctor's care right now for this condition since she doesn't like talking about it. My gut is telling me that the spiro would be safer. I know I need to talk with a doctor about this but I'm curious right now .

Hey

I'm no doctor, but are you sure that spironolactone is the name of the medicine? I'm taking that...and its a duiretic used to help control high blood pressure...its not an acne medication.

Here's the blurb I pulled from a drug interaction site I use:

Spironolactone, a "water pill," is used to treat high blood pressure and fluid retention caused by various conditions, including heart disease.

If a doctor gave this medicine to a 16 yr old for acne treatment, there's a huge problem here, and you might want to seek a second opinion!

Di

Old 02-18-2004, 02:10 PM   #3
    latayy26
    Veteran
    (female)

latayy26 HB User
    Re: Spironolactone vs. Bactrim

Actually, spiro IS used to treat acne in some cases. It is an anti-androgen so it helps with the "bad" hormones that cause acne. I am on it for my skin as well and it works great.

Closed Thread