It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board

• Paxil & Clonazepam DUI?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2004, 10:31 PM   #1
    JaneDoh

JaneDoh HB User
    Question Paxil & Clonazepam DUI?

I have a friend who was just arrested for DUI. The police were unable to find any alcohol in his system so they took him in for a urine test, because the police said he "looked like he was on something". The urine test was also free of alcohol, but came up with some sort of speed-like substance.

Is there any way that his medication (his doctor has him on Clonazepam and Paxil) could cause a false positive on his urine test?

I believe he takes his meds sporatically like he is supposed to take 1 pill 3x/day (not sure of mg amt.) and I think he takes all three at once. It's a fairly new script for him and I think he forgets, so he messes up his dosage.

A quick reply would be greatly appreciated. My friend has his arraignment in the morning and I would like to give him any information he may use in his defense. Thanks to all in advance! - JaneDoh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2004, 10:41 PM   #2
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: Paxil & Clonazepam DUI?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JaneDoh
    I have a friend who was just arrested for DUI. The police were unable to find any alcohol in his system so they took him in for a urine test, because the police said he "looked like he was on something". The urine test was also free of alcohol, but came up with some sort of speed-like substance.

Is there any way that his medication (his doctor has him on Clonazepam and Paxil) could cause a false positive on his urine test?

I believe he takes his meds sporatically like he is supposed to take 1 pill 3x/day (not sure of mg amt.) and I think he takes all three at once. It's a fairly new script for him and I think he forgets, so he messes up his dosage.

A quick reply would be greatly appreciated. My friend has his arraignment in the morning and I would like to give him any information he may use in his defense. Thanks to all in advance! - JaneDoh
    I don't know where you live, but where I live, the law is very specific as to driving while impaired. It doesn't matter whether the substance is prescribed or not. If the driver is impaired, they can be arrested and convicted of driving under the influence of a chemical. If he had a speed like substance in his system, and does not have a prescription for it, then he will have other possible charges as well. I hope that this is not the case. It is an expensive bummer.

Old 04-05-2004, 10:57 PM   #3
    JaneDoh

JaneDoh HB User
    Question Re: Paxil & Clonazepam DUI?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marimac
    I don't know where you live, but where I live, the law is very specific as to driving while impaired. It doesn't matter whether the substance is prescribed or not. If the driver is impaired, they can be arrested and convicted of driving under the influence of a chemical. If he had a speed like substance in his system, and does not have a prescription for it, then he will have other possible charges as well. I hope that this is not the case. It is an expensive bummer.
    What I am trying to find out is: Does Paxil or Clonazepam cause a false positive for speed or something like it (ecstacy, cocaine, etc.) in a urine test?

I read about side effects of possible overdose of Clonazepam: Symptoms of a Clonazepam overdose include sleepiness, dizziness, confusion, a slow heart beat, difficulty breathing, difficulty walking and talking, an appearance of being drunk, and unconsciousness. this info is from drugs.com

Old 04-06-2004, 01:12 AM   #4
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

The only prescription drug that I've read about that could cause a false positive urine test specifically for speed or amphetamine-like substances is the anti-depressant Wellbutrin (bupropion). Can't find any info that Paxil or clonazepam would produce a similar possibility.

If the urine test was not taken properly though, some over-the-counter meds containing sudafed or epinephrine could possibly give a false pos. for speed.

Whatever happens tomorrow, make sure your friend shows up with proof that he has legal prescriptions for the drugs he is taking.

Good luck!

zuzu

Old 04-06-2004, 01:39 AM   #5
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

I also don't know if Clonazepam or Paxil would cause a false positive for a speedy/amphetamine-like substance, but it really doesn't seem likely at all that it would show up as a SPEEDY substance, as I believe that neither drug has any "speedy" capabilities or similarities in chemical structure. Clonazepam could definitely make you drive in an intoxicated-like manner, though, I know that for a fact. I was in court the other day waiting for my dreaded turn to face the judge (luckily I was just getting off of probation) and there was a teen that went before me that was arrested for a DUI, with the substances being Xanax (similair to Clonazepam and in the same Controlled Substance class), Zoloft, and an opiate of some sort. This was in Connecticut and from listening to the trial, it doesn't matter if the drugs were prescribed or not-you can still get a DUI for driving under the influence of certain drugs. Maybe your friend should get a lawyer. Good luck, and I'm sorry I couldn't answer your specific question.
    ~Katalina

Old 04-06-2004, 07:37 AM   #6
    JaneDoh

JaneDoh HB User

Thank you all very much for your help. I really appreciate it!

Closed Thread