It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board

• Ativan

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2004, 05:10 PM   #1
    Ryan1982

Ryan1982 HB User
    Ativan

Has anyone ever taken Ativan and what kind of effects did it have on you? Thanks

Ryan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2004, 07:36 AM   #2
    cmmm47

cmmm47 HB User
    Wink Re: Ativan

Ativan is the brand name for lorazepam. It is a short acting drug compared to others in its class. In higher doses it can be used for sleep but usually its just used for anxiety (and is very good for the elderly as it burns off quickly and doesnt bulid up in the elderly persons blood if given in low doses). It can be used to wean people from its chemical cousins that are more potent (other benzodiaipines). See the post below to get acquinted with Ativan (Lorazepam) and Klonopin (Clonazepam) which both are widely used along with Xanax, Valium and many sleeping pills like Dalmane, Restoril and Doral.

Old 12-12-2004, 11:08 AM   #3
    woodfaery
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

woodfaery HB User
    Re: Ativan

I agree a lot with cmmm47.
    Ativan is used a lot for anxiety. At the same time it is just as addictive as any benzodiazapines. Be careful not to become addicted on the ativan. If you take ativan for long periods of time you will build up a tolerance and your body will want a larger dose. If this occurs, consult with the doc in depth. There are other meds, but benzo's are addictive.

Old 05-13-2005, 04:13 PM   #4
    lavender01
    Veteran
    (female)

lavender01 HB User

I was prescibed Ativan awhile back. My prescription has run out and the doctor I used to go to is no longer there. Now a nurse practitioner says she doesn't like to prescibe Ativan. She had rather use other things because it is addicting. Well anyway I have told them I had rather see a doctor anyway. Now how am I supposed to get the Ativan refilled? Will he do it by me telling him it helps me with anxiety and to sleep? I was only taking .5 at a time and that was not even everyday. I am not one for taking a lot of pills but this seemed to work for me!

Old 05-15-2005, 02:46 PM   #5
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi, My dr prescribed ativan for me to help with sleep & anxiety back in November. I only took .5 mg- 1 mg for about a month. I stopped taking it every night because I found it caused depression (in me). And I agree with the others, it is highly addictive and for sleep & anxiety I find some of the herbals work too. Not as well, but they just seem a bit safer to me.

Old 05-17-2005, 07:02 AM   #6
    jenjordan
    (female)

jenjordan HB User

i also take ativan for anxiety......as some of the others have stated you do build a tolerence I started on 1 mg 3 times a day in jan of 2004. Now I am up to 2mg three times a day. It really works well for me though

Ps
    I only take as needed I can take up to 3 a day.

Old 06-08-2005, 06:13 PM   #7
    cartjen
    (female)

cartjen HB User

Hi
    Yes, Ativan is one of the most addictive prescription drugs, but it is very very effective. I take one every two weeks or so, staggered, and it's effective. Follow doctor's orders on this one.

Old 06-08-2005, 09:42 PM   #8
    pleasantville
    (female)

pleasantville HB User
    Question Re: Ativan

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenjordan
    i also take ativan for anxiety......as some of the others have stated you do build a tolerence I started on 1 mg 3 times a day in jan of 2004. Now I am up to 2mg three times a day. It really works well for me though

Ps
    I only take as needed I can take up to 3 a day.
    i have been taking ativan for 6 years and am struggling on 1mg 3x a day. doc won't increase dose and i am having such breakthrough panic and anxiety and withdrawal symptoms that i am sick much of the day and cannot sleep. if you take 2mgs 3x a day how can you call that "as needed" don't the drs. know about the build up of tolerance? this addiction is killing me.

Old 06-21-2005, 04:10 PM   #9
    indigogirl
    (female)

indigogirl HB User

Regarding Ativan use. I an a registered nurse and have seen a lot of people who become dependent on this drug, however in the short term it can be helpful. Lots of doctors will place there pt on this at the same they start them on another antidepressant or antianxiety med.

Old 06-24-2005, 02:26 PM   #10
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pleasantville
    i have been taking ativan for 6 years and am struggling on 1mg 3x a day. doc won't increase dose and i am having such breakthrough panic and anxiety and withdrawal symptoms that i am sick much of the day and cannot sleep. if you take 2mgs 3x a day how can you call that "as needed" don't the drs. know about the build up of tolerance? this addiction is killing me.
    I really feel for you. I took Ativan for only 8 months(with some tries at Klonopin too) and I didn't really know what it was or anything about tolerance but boy did I develop tolerance; 2 mgs. dose did nothing and we know 2 mgs. is a good size dose, around 20 mgs. Valium in equivalancy (yes, the notorius Valium is actually less potent than Ativan)

Your symptoms are all too familiar to me! What a kicker, huh, having withdrawals while still on a med? And to think, nothing was wrong with me intil I had a codeine reaction during an illness and was told it wasn't the codeine but me somehow (?) thus began the benzo oddessy to fix the situation.

Instead, it just got worse much like you describe. Thank goodness for the internet, I found out the truth about these so-called "medicines" that are just neurotoxins. There is a free online manual called the Ashton Manual which gives alot of info on benzodiazepines; you might want to check it out.

Personally, I didn't know much about benzos so ended up tapering a bit too fast so ended up with protracted benzo withdrawal syndrome which still lingers but has improved enormously!

I'm so glad I made the decision to drop my doctor and the pills; I can't imagine where I would be today if I continued.

I won't kid you, it could get a bit rough to taper off, especially at first, but I would highly advise you to consider getting off that crappola. Sounds like you are already in hell so you can only go up from here, eh?

Whatever you do, taper oh so slowly maybe even consider the Ashton Method of tapering which is to slowly substitute Valium as the tapering drug.

I'm in a much better place now than I ever was on Ativan.

Closed Thread