It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board

• FREE from Zoloft...a success story

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2005, 06:23 PM   #1
    mcvic
    (female)

mcvic HB User
    Talking FREE from ZOLOFT...a success story

For those of you who have ever tried (and suffered) from the withdrawals of coming off of Zoloft and/or other similar meds, I just wanted to share this sentiment:

Whew-Hoo!!! I am FREE from Zoloft, BABY!
    Yes.....yes it CAN be done.

My story, and my battle, with this mysterious thing we call MVPS, started right here with this other thing we call Zoloft. I had never had a problem with depression itself, but was having other strange medical problems that slowly worsened over time, and the doctors never could figure out what was wrong with me....and THAT led to one very depressed individual. I went from weekly headaches to daily headaches, from mild stress to all-out panic attacks, from a steady, slow beat to a rapid, racing heart. And all the while, BP readings that made the doctors blink twice.

So here we are in the dreaded doctor's office. They listen to my heart, and hear the faint sound of the heart murmur that I know I have always had since childhood. Then they hook me up to the EKG machine and see the definitive "tick." Next comes the echocardiogram, and there we have it folks, Mitral Valve Prolapse. "Mitral what?" I say.

And after all this, what do the doctor's prescribe? Zoloft. They basically said to me that I was "young" and suffering from stress, and that the heart murmur was unrelated to my condition or to my BP. Poor things didn't make the connection, did they? I bet they couldn't tell the difference between a Q-Tip and a donkey's...behind. What they SHOULD HAVE prescribed was some type of BP medication, and/or something to slow and regulate my heart.

So, for the next 2 years, I am a good little girl and take my Zoloft everyday. Whether I want it or not, whether it's actually helping me or not, I take it. And over time, I become increasingly aware of it's uselessness to my condition. I also become surprisingly aware of Zoloft and its associations to weight gain, hair loss, lawsuits and suicide. Buddy, did these reports scare the CRAP out of me! So I decided, whether h*ll or highwater, I was going to be FREE from Zoloft. And no, it didn't happen overnight. The first two times I was just plain stubborn (and stupid) and tried to quit "cold turkey". That is to say, one day I am taking 100mg, and the next nothing at all. Well, that didn't go over too well, to say the least. I cried spontaneously, and for no apparent reason. Down my legs went these awful, electrical "zaps", and if I were to turn my head in any direction whatsoever, "zing" the room would spin, and I just felt plain drunk! I would scream at my husband for dumb little things, and I thought surely he would divorce me...but worse yet, I thought I was going to hurt myself, whether be it intentional or accidental.

But my third attempt to free myself from Zoloft "worked like a charm" as they say. I did it very *gradually* (gradually being the keyword here folks) over the course of about 4 months, and suffered only mild side-effects. The most notable were the headaches, mood-swings, and dizziness directly following the dosage decrease. And THIS time, I was PREPARED. Here's what I did: I started by telling my husband that I was taking the "Big Plung" and freeing myself from Zoloft. He said, "ok." And I said, "No, honey, you don't understand, I'm going to be a total b*tch for the next few months." And then he said, "That's alright, I will still love you...but thanks for the warning." So my first, and hardest, step from 100mg to 50mg ended up not so bad at all. Yes, it was physically very taxing, but emotionally it was a lot better then it could have been. I had some vicious headaches for the next 2 weeks, as well as crying, screaming, and hyperventilating in front of my husband. But he was calm, cool, and collected. He would wrap his arms around me, chuckle, and say, "oh sweetie, it's ok...you're just withdrawing. Everything will be alright."

So I was eventually put on Toprol XL to regulate my racing heartbeat and to control the high BP. Toprol has been a "miracle drug" for me. And at the same time, I slowly began the weening process from Zoloft. I went from 100mg to 50mg for a period of two months, then 2 more months at 25mg.

So here's the most important things to remember if you are thinking of discontinuing the use of Zoloft: DO realize that Zoloft is not for everyone; KNOW that there is LIGHT at the end of the Zoloft tunnel; DO have a supportive husband/family/friends to help you through withdrawals; DO NOT attempt to ween yourself from Zoloft at a stressful time in your life; DO it gradually; DO it bravely; DO understand that depression and mood-swings are PART OF the withdrawal stage, and NOT necessarily a relapse into the depression you might once have had; DO know that life comes full circle; And...Good Luck!

Last edited by mcvic; 01-21-2005 at 03:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2005, 06:14 AM   #2
    mudhound
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mudhound HB User
    Re: FREE from Zoloft...a success story

con grats
    welcome to the board

Mudhound

Closed Thread