It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board

• DWI Xanax.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2005, 09:56 PM   #16
    Ellecram
    (female)

Ellecram HB User
    Re: DWI Xanax.

I do think that Xanax would show on a routine drug screen if the test included benzodiazapenes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2005, 10:30 PM   #17
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

It does.
    This is why I carry my bottle with me at all times.
    Stardust

Old 08-09-2005, 01:23 PM   #18
    ceee
    (female)

ceee HB User

You can get a DWI from taking nyquil, drinking alchohol, taking an illegal drug, or a prescribed drug, or an over the counter drug. Anything that impairs your ability to drive can get you a DWI. I know it seems silly for some of the stuff, especially when you feel you aren't doing anything illegal, but legally, if the officer deems you impaired, you have a DWI. You can bring it to court and possibly be able to fight it, but the cop has a good case. You need to become very educated in what DWI law is in your state before you try to say you weren't impaired. Good luck!

Old 08-11-2005, 01:26 AM   #19
    pjcat
    (male)

pjcat HB User

With the way the laws are getting (at least in my state), I am getting paranoid anymore to even drink a red bull or coffee If I'm going to drive. As for your case, I honestly had never heard of anyone getting a DWI for being on xanax while driving. However, like someone previous has mentioned you dont have a prescription for it, and it sounds like you were just taking it for recreation. You are lucky you didn't get charged with possession for it; and to be honest I'm surprised you didn't.

As for the actual DWI, if its your first one you probably wont go to jail for it, but the fines will be pretty steep and probation is a pain in the a$$.

Good luck

Old 08-21-2005, 12:19 AM   #20
    bwsinfonia13
    (male)

bwsinfonia13 HB User

been awhile since I checked in. I went to my first court date/plea date, on Wed. Pled Not guilty. I have an appointment with my lawyer in the morning. I stated earlier that I acctually have high anxiety, extremely high, to the point that at 25 years of age, I have never been able to have sex, body won't allow it, I am male for the record. I just figured I could avoid that part of life. I can't meet new people, esspescially girls, my body seems to shut down, can't really explain. I just get what I call the fear. Most recentlyt I went to a club about a year ago, a friend of mine tells me there was a girl interested in me, so after the club We, my friend and I, give her ride home, and talked for a while mostly my friend and the girl, old friends, they caught up, and come accross like the shy guy. Long story short we dated a few times, until she tried to sleep with me, I was unable to perform, body shut down, after that she pretty much lost interest in me. That's just the most recent happening. My life has basically been a repeat of these same events, over and over. So, I pretty much don't talk to girlsto avoid the embarressment of not being able to perform. No, to those who wonder, I don't have a low sex drive, and no I'm not gay. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just not for me. So, I've wanted to get a perscription for a while but, figure that they wouldn't give it to me anyway, so I haven't tried. I know that it helps, I have a friend with a perscription, who occasionally will give me some when I really start to freak out. But never more than one pill, not many to spare, and I don't really take it unless I need it I, on the night in question, was at a large gathering of frat brothers, and I started getting the feeling that everyone was looking at me, I made a B-line for upstairs, to sit alone, when my friend offered me xanax, to help me calm down. I took it, twenty minuetes later I came down stairs to have fun with everyone else. I then stayed a few hours, and left for work. On the way to work, I did a rolling stop, right on red, got pulled over for failure to obey a red light. I was then asked if I had been drinking, to which I could honestly reply No. Then I was told that if I had taken anything else, it would be in my best interest to tell them. So, I told them, I had taken a xanax. They kept pressuring to get me to say bar. Under the pressure I could only come up with peach football, a few hours ago. I was then given a road-side soberiety test, on an uneven, broken concrete line, that I don't think I could walk completely sober. I will be taking pictures of the line to court, with a level in the pic. I was then placed under arrest. taken into the station, and I think the rest has been told before.

Old 08-21-2005, 12:26 AM   #21
    bwsinfonia13
    (male)

bwsinfonia13 HB User

Being that my friend really doesn't have alot of xanax to spare, I didn't have any on me, so I couldn't get possesion, but I may possibly get charged with attempted possesion before it is all said and done. I hope my lawyer can prevent that occurance. I plan to see a doctor oneday, but keep puting it off. Lot of good that has done me, huh. Oh well, I guess the courts will decide my fate now. I try to keep you guys posted on this whole deal. later

Old 08-22-2005, 06:08 PM   #22
    NVR2L8
    (female)

NVR2L8 HB User

Did you have any documentation that it was prescribed to you? Or was it even prescribed to you at all? If you took it recreationally, that is where you have the problem. But, i take xanax often and sometimes while driving because of panic attacks while driving and I have never had a problem. I have it in my purse in the original prescribed bottle. Maybe if you show them that you had it from a doc. they may dismiss it. Where you driving irratically? Swurving etc.....

Old 08-22-2005, 10:24 PM   #23
    bwsinfonia13
    (male)

bwsinfonia13 HB User

I have explained all in previous post. check my post from 08-21-05. or many/any of my other post on this thread. It is all there somewhere.

Old 08-23-2005, 10:43 AM   #24
    pjcat
    (male)

pjcat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwsinfonia13
    been awhile since I checked in. I went to my first court date/plea date, on Wed. Pled Not guilty. I have an appointment with my lawyer in the morning. I stated earlier that I acctually have high anxiety, extremely high, to the point that at 25 years of age, I have never been able to have sex, body won't allow it, I am male for the record. I just figured I could avoid that part of life. I can't meet new people, esspescially girls, my body seems to shut down, can't really explain. I just get what I call the fear. Most recentlyt I went to a club about a year ago, a friend of mine tells me there was a girl interested in me, so after the club We, my friend and I, give her ride home, and talked for a while mostly my friend and the girl, old friends, they caught up, and come accross like the shy guy. Long story short we dated a few times, until she tried to sleep with me, I was unable to perform, body shut down, after that she pretty much lost interest in me. That's just the most recent happening. My life has basically been a repeat of these same events, over and over. So, I pretty much don't talk to girlsto avoid the embarressment of not being able to perform. No, to those who wonder, I don't have a low sex drive, and no I'm not gay. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just not for me. So, I've wanted to get a perscription for a while but, figure that they wouldn't give it to me anyway, so I haven't tried. I know that it helps, I have a friend with a perscription, who occasionally will give me some when I really start to freak out. But never more than one pill, not many to spare, and I don't really take it unless I need it I, on the night in question, was at a large gathering of frat brothers, and I started getting the feeling that everyone was looking at me, I made a B-line for upstairs, to sit alone, when my friend offered me xanax, to help me calm down. I took it, twenty minuetes later I came down stairs to have fun with everyone else. I then stayed a few hours, and left for work. On the way to work, I did a rolling stop, right on red, got pulled over for failure to obey a red light. I was then asked if I had been drinking, to which I could honestly reply No. Then I was told that if I had taken anything else, it would be in my best interest to tell them. So, I told them, I had taken a xanax. They kept pressuring to get me to say bar. Under the pressure I could only come up with peach football, a few hours ago. I was then given a road-side soberiety test, on an uneven, broken concrete line, that I don't think I could walk completely sober. I will be taking pictures of the line to court, with a level in the pic. I was then placed under arrest. taken into the station, and I think the rest has been told before.

Yes bud, but the point is you didn't have a prescription at the time of the arrest. Even though you do suffer from anxiety, and even if you get a script from your doctor the prosecution can still argue the point that if you suffer from bad anxiety, why didn't you have the prescription then? Also, if you tell them that your buddy has been giving you xanax from his prescription its possible they can charge him with distribution.

Last edited by pjcat; 08-23-2005 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Change wording

Old 08-23-2005, 04:21 PM   #25
    bwsinfonia13
    (male)

bwsinfonia13 HB User

My lawyer tends to think that I will probably beat this in the end. He is the best in the area, and his fees reflect this. I know many other peoplle who have used him and gotten off on DWI, and they were acctually drunk. He specializes in criminal work, and has good relationships with the DA.
    I was informed that I do not have to disclose anny information as to where I got the medication from, so my friend has nothing to worry about. I would go to jail again before putting a good friend in jepordy.
    I have seen a doctor for this before, but was put on Paxil, it didn't help. I came to the coclusion that the docs don't believe me, and gave up. It is stupid but true.
    My lawyer said that the urine sample is hard for the DA to work with, as you can't tell acctual intoxication, or time of ingestion. He also said the roadside sobriety tests aren't always fair. Mine was not, I had to try and perform on an uneven broken concrete line. Pictures will make an apearance in court. I will try to keep you all up dated, on the happenings in the future.
    I will be seeing a doctor in the near future, a new and different doctor than before, whom I will inform that Paxil did not work.
    And yes I took Paxil for over a month so it should've helped some if it was going to at all.

Old 08-23-2005, 07:19 PM   #26
    pjcat
    (male)

pjcat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwsinfonia13
    He also said the roadside sobriety tests aren't always fair.

Aint that the truth.

Take care bud

Old 08-23-2005, 10:15 PM   #27
    bwsinfonia13
    (male)

bwsinfonia13 HB User

I plan to.
    I hope thing go well not only in court but also with this new doc. My lawyer is costing me more than the combined fines of the DWI, and red light charge. But heh, I'ld rather give it to him and get away with a clean record, than give it to the state for DWI-1.

Old 08-24-2005, 07:46 AM   #28
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

This is a little off-topic, but If your dr won't prescribe you a benzo, youmight find another dr. Some drs are anti-benzo, they think they are evil. But honestly, Xanax is the ONLY thing that has ever worked for my anxiety, and the same is true for alot of others.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:43 PM   #29
    bwsinfonia13
    (male)

bwsinfonia13 HB User

New Update Saw the new doc. I am now on 1mg Clonazepam, twice daily, I've only been on the meds a few days but feel a lift in mood, and have notice that I walk with my head up (I usually stare at the ground) more often. My court date was rescheduled for 10-10-05. Will be around to let you know what happens.

Old 09-27-2005, 07:37 AM   #30
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Hi!
    I am THRILLED you are finally on an anti-anxiety med. However I do have one question for you.
    If you couldn't afford to get the Meds back in the beginning of this thread, Then how are you able to pay for such an expensive lawyer? If you had the resourses, you should of found someone to prescribe the Xanax or Clonapine before you were arrested and wouldn't be going through all this now.
    A good freind may give you 1 to see if it helps, but after that they should of guided you towards THIER Doc or someone else.
    Good Luck on the 10th.
    Stardust

Closed Thread