It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board

• DMSO...anyone hear of it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-26-2005, 02:08 PM   #1
    Joodee123
    (female)

Joodee123 HB User
    DMSO...anyone hear of it?

I have cronic back pain and a co-worker gave me this aloe gel with DMSO in it. It is a natural product and is supposed to work well on inflammation. when I put it on, it burns...so I am not using it for now. It is supposedly used in other countries, but not approved for prescription in the US. Although, it is sold in natural food stores. If anyone has info on this product...it would be much appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2005, 05:16 AM   #2
    CyberGodess
    (female)

CyberGodess HB User
    Re: DMSO...anyone hear of it?

A chiropractor once put Aloe gel (no DMSO) on my back, without telling me he was going to do it, and suddenly it felt like fire had scorched my skin with third degree burns! This happened once before when a sales person poured aloe hand lotion on my hands (I had to wash my hands in cold water for at least five minutes to stop the burning) I'm allergic to Aloe.

My daughter and I both use DMSO once in a great while and have never had an adverse reaction to it. We've even used it full strength. It works amazing well for both of us.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
    suggus
    (male)

suggus HB User

DMSO is a solvent that penitrates the skin very easily and takes along with it whatever is mixed with it.
    Think of that - if you put DMSO on your hands and you have a poison on them that normally can not penitrate the skin, it will go right into your system.
    It is risky to use and caution should be used. Watch what you may store it in....no metal!
    From time to time I used to read where industrial grade DMSO was sold as pharmicitical grade and someone got some kind of metal poisoning.

I never heard of anyone getting burned with aloe but I would not mix it with DMSO, not even organic aloe if you can get that.

Old 01-14-2006, 12:49 AM   #4
    1plumppup
    (female)

1plumppup HB User

hi, i've used dmso for several years (70%dmso and 30% aloe- there are other blends available). athletes use it all the time for sprains, inflamation, and muscle pain relief. just wash your hands before you apply. i also suggest the roll on version (also sold in health stores) that way you don't have to worry about clean hands, and can take it with you. you can do some research online. i too use it for back pain. it will burn somewhat if applied to an inflamed area, but this should subside w/in 5 or so mins. imo, i believe its so much better than taking strong pain killers that lead to liver /stomach damage.

Closed Thread