It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board

• Zoloft Withdrawals-Need support

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2004, 11:47 AM   #16
    carrielynn
    Veteran
    (female)

carrielynn HB User
    Re: Zoloft Withdrawals-Need support

Dear NoMoreZoloft,

I experienced the extreme rage you're describing BEFORE I ever went on Zoloft. I was having extreme anxiety and I wrote in my journal how everything was ticking me off to the point that I would become unglued for just about everything. I was slamming my fist into walls. Little sounds made me jump-- I was very sensitive. I described it as the worst type of "PMS" I had ever experienced (but it wasn't PMS).

So I can't blame that anger on the Zoloft.

However, when you withdraw from the medication, it takes time for your nervous system to deal with it. It takes time for your nervous system to get used to it when you start taking it... they say it can take 6-8 weeks before it even starts working and sometimes longer, so it's going to take time to live without it. When I withdrew from Zoloft, I felt pretty good until about 3 weeks later when I started having some anxiety problems and zaps. I've been off of it for 4 months now and I'm starting to feel more like normal. It sounds like you're having a reaction to being without the medication.

I would recommend adding things like exercise, deep breathing, meditation, biofeedback, yoga, etc. to help your nervous system learn to calm down. I have my moments when I don't feel good, but nothing like before. It takes time to heal. It doesn't happen overnight. It can take months.

good luck!

--CarrieLynn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2004, 06:27 AM   #17
    sha79

sha79 HB User

I have been off Zoloft for about 2 months and it has been rough! I was on it for 7 years and I only had to come off becuz of losing my job and insurance. Needless to say, I have been one ill lady! I am so edgy and anxious. I feel like smacking people who make me angry. I have never been a violent person, until now. LOL of course, I haven't hit anyone, just feel like it sometimes. Anyway, just wanted to add my 2 cents. I love Zoloft! It is the only AD that works for me. Now I have to suffer til I get another job! Oh well, life sux sometimes.

Old 02-06-2004, 07:24 AM   #18
    nena4834
    (female)

nena4834 HB User

Dear Nomorezoloft,

I just recently came off of Zoloft after only 2 months of taking it and I did it cold turkey. I just decided to stop. Well I have to admit that the first month was horrible. I was just downright nasty to everyone and the brain zaps were driving me crazy. I thought I was really going to die! I wasn't even aware that there were withdrawal symptoms to stopping zoloft.

It has been a month and I am still here and am feeling better, more like myself. If I had known before what I know now I probably would not have taken zoloft. I do believe there is relief at the end of the tunnel and that in time you will feel better.

Hope that everything goes well with you, please keep us posted.

cookie

Old 03-04-2004, 03:13 PM   #19
    firstandten

firstandten HB User

A week into my quitting Zoloft cold turkey - I had minor toe sugery and was prescribed hydrocodone - now that I am off the hydrocodone, I am getting major "zaps". I refuse to take the Zoloft or the Hydrocodone - now I am 2 weeks into quitting the Z and hope that the withdrawal symptoms are at their worst as I can handle what I'm dealing with right now!

Thanks for great input

Old 04-13-2004, 12:03 PM   #20
    Aries872
    Inactive

Aries872 HB User

I had the same withdrawals coming off of Effexor. I went to the doctor and pretty much told him to give me xanax until the withdrawal stopped. I was on it about 2-3 weeks and then got off the xanax no problem. I couldn't imagine doing it without aws I experienced it for about 3 days and it was hell. Good luck.

Aries872

Old 04-13-2004, 02:30 PM   #21
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

Not to demean the discussion, but coincidentally the VERY topic of Zoloft withdrawal has been written into the EVERWOOD script yesterday. The major character AMY has been weaning from the drug and is scared to death. In this week's episode (usually repeated on the weekend?) her aunt (a new-age physician) is trying to calm her fears- a GOOD discussion.
    Amy at first does well but there are signs that all will not be rosy.
    Check your TV lists and see if you can catch it later this week (WB network.) Show can be schmaltzy but usually reasonably intelligent!

Last edited by zip2play; 04-13-2004 at 02:37 PM.

Old 05-15-2004, 06:16 PM   #22
    ZFREEIN2003

ZFREEIN2003 HB User

I can really feel everyones pain! I tried a different tactic in getting off of this horrific drug. I have essentially gone "cold turkey" with a twist. When the zaps (I think of them as rushes) get too bad, I take a small amount. It helps to take the edge off of the withdrawals. I have tried to wean down, but in all honesty, I get too impatient. I have gained so much weight and totally changed into someone that I am not. I just want to be ME again!!!

Closed Thread