It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board

• Celexa,wellbutrin, Xanax

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
    sal108
    (female)

sal108 HB User
    Celexa,wellbutrin, Xanax

Could someone please tell me the effects of these medications? My mother has been battling deppression for many years, followed by panic attacks and anxiety. I don't understand why she is on all these medications and I worry so much about her. I am one that does not believe in drug dependency. Deppression runs in my family on the women's side. I have also battled deppression and post-pardem deppression by altering my way of thinking about things and spirituality, and I have always coped without meds.

I guess for one, I would like to know is my mother addicted to these meds?

Would there be life for her without them?

Does any one have any advise on any natural solutions to her problems?

What are the side effects of these drugs together?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Just recently she started having terrible migrains at work and passed out a couple of times. She went to the emergency room and the doctor perscribed her another medicine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
    Re: Celexa,wellbutrin, Xanax

THe drug I would be concerned with is Xanax as it can become habit forming. Wellbutrin gets along with most antidepressants so I would not be too concerned, I take Wellbutrin, Effexor, Remeron, Lithium and Zyprexa with no problems. The only natural products that would help would be fish oils or omega 3's but check with the pharmacist first. Also therapy might be an option.

trg247
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 01-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #3
    sal108
    (female)

sal108 HB User

thanks for your reply, do you mind me asking....why are you on all of the meds? And what is the purpose of the wellbutrin? What does it do/help with?

Old 01-09-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

antidepressants- wellbutrin, effexor, remeron
    mood stabilizer - lithium
    antipsycotic - zyprexa

I have severe major depressive disorder with psycotic features, post traumatic stress disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. Wellbutrin is an antidepressant that affects a certain chemical in the brain, I am not sure which one.

trg247
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 01-24-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
    sal108
    (female)

sal108 HB User

Thanks trg247, If you don't mind me asking......Why do you think that you are this way, was it something that happened in your life that caused it, do you think its genetic? I just want to know why some people have these problems and some people do not. I'd just like to try to see it from your perspective. I'd appreciate it alot. thanks

Old 03-18-2007, 08:21 PM   #6
    ILiveForMyKIDS
    (male)

ILiveForMyKIDS HB User

taking xanax along with wellbutrin can cause an increased chance of seizure. Not really a good combo at all.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:48 PM   #7
    fusionqueen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User

I have NEVER heard of not taking Xanax and Wellbutrin together.......can I ask where you saw that info???

Old 04-21-2007, 09:28 AM   #8
    chiapatchie
    (female)

chiapatchie HB User
    Arrow Re: Celexa,wellbutrin, Xanax

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fusionqueen View Post
    I have NEVER heard of not taking Xanax and Wellbutrin together.......can I ask where you saw that info???
    Hi Fusion... That's certainly a NEW one on me, too. My PDR+cross-ref does not indicate that with these two specific drugs ALONE being used together...and, let me say also I am speaking only about these 2 drugs ONLY and IF the patient is otherwise healthy AND has no ALLERGY to either.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:37 AM   #9
    chiapatchie
    (female)

chiapatchie HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Celexa,wellbutrin, Xanax

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trg247 View Post
    antidepressants- wellbutrin, effexor, remeron
    mood stabilizer - lithium
    antipsycotic - zyprexa

I have severe major depressive disorder with psycotic features, post traumatic stress disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. Wellbutrin is an antidepressant that affects a certain chemical in the brain, I am not sure which one.

trg247
    Hi Trg If I may ask, are YOU a combat veteran? I'm an Air Force vet.
    .... My heart is with you...I'm cursed with the same mess.
    But, I finally ended up with taking this wretched PAXIL which has got to go!! So, I've been researching the Wellbutrin for me.
    And, I do use XANAX only when totally necessary for several reasons.
    Trg...my PTSD really slammed me into a "steel-enforced brick wall" about 19 years ago at the young age (which almost all women chose to stop counting at ) of the old "infamous" 39!!

Wellbutrin (chemical name is BUPROPION) DECREASES REUPTAKE OF DOPAMINE in the central nervous system ....and, DIMINISHES THE UPTAKE of SEROTONIN and NOREPINEPHRINE in the CNS...all of which is connected within our amazing BRAIN activity! Whew!!

Hope you are getting along much better each day!!

Ginny

Old 04-21-2007, 12:07 PM   #10
    chiapatchie
    (female)

chiapatchie HB User
    Red face Re: Celexa,wellbutrin, Xanax

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmomma80 View Post
    Could someone please tell me the effects of these medications? My mother has been battling deppression for many years, followed by panic attacks and anxiety. I don't understand why she is on all these medications and I worry so much about her. I am one that does not believe in drug dependency. Deppression runs in my family on the women's side. I have also battled deppression and post-pardem deppression by altering my way of thinking about things and spirituality, and I have always coped without meds.

I guess for one, I would like to know is my mother addicted to these meds?

Would there be life for her without them?

Does any one have any advise on any natural solutions to her problems?

What are the side effects of these drugs together?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Just recently she started having terrible migrains at work and passed out a couple of times. She went to the emergency room and the doctor perscribed her another medicine.
    Dear Tmom.... CHANGE DOCTORS AGAIN.

Get your Mom OFF CELEXA! That one has so many potentially BAD side effects, I have enough information from PDRs to believe it is this drug that caused her to "faint".

The others, if she is NOT allergic to them, are known to be very safe for WOMEN.

Did the ER Doc stop the celexa BEFORE prescribing something new---I hope????

God be with you both and please let me know....this is something I am very familiar with by experience, too, Dear.

Love,
    Ginny

Old 08-19-2007, 08:56 AM   #11
    TopamaxKillsMe
    (female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User

Celexa and Wellbutrin are both antidepressants. When I was taken off Celexa, I was put on Wellbutrin. My therapist put me on one or another, not both. I don't really think she needs to be on both as they serve the same purpose. Xanax is for anxiety. It would make sense to have her on Xanax whle on Wellbutrin since a known side effect of Wellbutrin is anxiety.

Is she being weaned off the Celexa?

Sounds like she's overmedicated. If it was my mother, i'd find another psychiatrist. There are way too many doctors that just get off on writing prescriptions.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:45 AM   #12
    kiwi5010
    (female)

kiwi5010 HB User

My husband was taking 4 different meds, we were frustrated and finally switched doctors. He felt like that was way too many medications. i would definately try switching doctors, I know how inconvient it is, but my husband was struggling with side effects too and thought there was something wrong with him, the doctor really thought his symptoms were the combination of meds, all of them do have side effects, probably most of them have migraines even listed on it. I would definately try a second opinion, don't try to take her off them on your own.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #13
    TopamaxKillsMe
    (female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User

Definitely do not take them off on your own. most need to be weaned. Being taken off suddenly can result in a seizure or other wacky side effects. But yeah, a second opinion sounds like a good idea.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:07 PM   #14
    mike111
    (male)

mike111 HB User
    Re: Celexa, Klonopin,Ativan,Serzone

I was having a problem with Serzone. My Dr. took me off it and put me on Celexa. I have been having a lot of trouble with withdrawal, or maybe it is side effects from the Celexa. I don't know. Dr. is not helping much in any case. He took me off Serzone in a week's time. I was taking 300mg a day for about 6 or 7 years. I am wondering if anybody else has had any problems like these? I was put on the Ativan about 2 weeks after getting on Celexa to help me sleep and to help the bad headaches. I don't know what else to do. Help. Please. Any information you have would be appreciated.

Last edited by mike111; 11-17-2007 at 08:26 PM.

Closed Thread