It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board

• xanax vs. valuim????what is the difference?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2007, 05:45 PM   #1
    jessy28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User
    xanax vs. valuim????what is the difference?

Anyone know what the difference is between xanax and valuim? Does one make you more tired than the other? Is one more addictive than the other? Is one used for axiety/ anti depressant type uses more than the other? Is 1mg of xanax a lot to take in a day? Do some people take valuim or xanax only everyonce in a while for stress or anxiety but not every day?

Last edited by jessy28; 01-29-2007 at 05:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
    jessy28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User
    Re: xanax vs. valuim????what is the difference?

32 views and not one post? wow. All I really want to know is wether anyone has experiences more fatigue from valuim than they have from xanax? Are they the same as far as drugs go? They seem to do different things. Anyone else ever felt that?

Old 02-01-2007, 05:59 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

since they are totally different meds(but in the same group),any differences would be related to that,you know what i mean?i answered your other post a bit more thoroughly.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Well, I do know that xanax is shorter acting and has a short half life. It is more potent than valium. Valium is weaker but has a very long half life. Both can be very addicting, or rather, physical dependancy and severe tolerance seem to be the main problems along with a possible protracted withdrawal syndrome. It has been clinically proven that tolerance builds eventually and then the need for them is mainly for starving off withdrawal or rebound effect at that point. This is why even the drug literature recommends them for short term use. However, because of the dependancy issue, many find they cannot stop taking them.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
    jessy28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

That makes sense. Thanks.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:27 PM   #6
    Jill2112
    (female)

Jill2112 HB User

Jessy,

Jennita is right. Xanax is more powerful. My husband is now on Valium. He used to take Xanax. He is having more difficulties with anxiety with Valium. He is tapering down a little at a time. He does say he has 'withdrawl' symptoms. The anxiety seems to be increasing and then decreasing. His doctor says it is to be expected. Hang in there. Decrease slowly and you will have better results. Take care.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:11 PM   #7
    BmoresFinest
    (male)

BmoresFinest HB User

Xanax and Valuim both suck.. I have been on Klinopins, Then Valuim and now Xanax and I feel none of them.... wish they would have worked like they were suppose to.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:22 AM   #8
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

Klonopin is the only one that has worked for me for years now.

xanax: soes nothing for me or my anxiety
    valium: makes me vomit
    ativan: makes me cry and very depressed.

that is just my experience with these 4.

ICC

Old 02-21-2007, 10:00 AM   #9
    lorriem
    Veteran
    (female)

lorriem HB User

my doctor is taking me off of valium even though i have been on that for 40 years and putting me on klonopin.i am on both right now getting off of valium and taking it as needed in between the .5 mg klonopin three times a day. i have always taken 5 mg valium 4 x a day. i am now on 2 valium and really think i will go down to 1 tomorow.i really do not understand why he is doing this since i do know valium has a longer half life and 5 mg of valium = 10 mg klonopin so instead of 20 mg of valium a day even though i will be on .5 klonopin 3 x a day but that = 30 mg equivilent of valium. he is telling me that klonopin is a longer acting drug not true but if i question him it will be a lot harder finding another doc in this state to give me a benzo which has benifited me for 40 years .i cannot tell the difference from either drug only know the stats on them. btw i was put on valium for familiar treamor genetic and anxity but more so to stop my hands and head shaking at the least bit times of stress.at times it was hard even to drink a cup of coffee and my husband would drink some of it so it was nt full.

Last edited by lorriem; 02-21-2007 at 10:05 AM.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:37 PM   #10
    BmoresFinest
    (male)

BmoresFinest HB User
    Thumbs down Re: xanax vs. valuim????what is the difference?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
    my doctor is taking me off of valium even though i have been on that for 40 years and putting me on klonopin.i am on both right now getting off of valium and taking it as needed in between the .5 mg klonopin three times a day. i have always taken 5 mg valium 4 x a day. i am now on 2 valium and really think i will go down to 1 tomorow.i really do not understand why he is doing this since i do know valium has a longer half life and 5 mg of valium = 10 mg klonopin so instead of 20 mg of valium a day even though i will be on .5 klonopin 3 x a day but that = 30 mg equivilent of valium. he is telling me that klonopin is a longer acting drug not true but if i question him it will be a lot harder finding another doc in this state to give me a benzo which has benifited me for 40 years .i cannot tell the difference from either drug only know the stats on them. btw i was put on valium for familiar treamor genetic and anxity but more so to stop my hands and head shaking at the least bit times of stress.at times it was hard even to drink a cup of coffee and my husband would drink some of it so it was nt full.
    shittt im getting hospitalized to get off Xanax and heroin its going to suck horribly.

Last edited by BmoresFinest; 02-21-2007 at 08:37 PM.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:32 AM   #11
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

Bmoresfinest**** wishing youthe best through your detox. my husband went off fentynal patches a few months back. the dr. wanted to do it in patient an dhe refused. he was sorry he didn't. too about 2 full weeks using another drug to wean him. went through the couldn't sleep, couldn't stay awake, hallucinactions and just feeling weird. he would ahve been alot more comfortable in the hospital. Prayers are with you. good luck.

ICC

Old 02-22-2007, 11:03 AM   #12
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
    Valium is supposed to be best for tapering but klonopin is sometimes used too I've heard. Klonopin could also prevent any seizures from withdrawal; however, from what I've read, seizures wouldn't be a problem as long as the tapering schedule is very slow. Seizures occur from benzo withdrawal only when there is abrupt or fast tapering off a high dose.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:20 AM   #13
    lorriem
    Veteran
    (female)

lorriem HB User

Jennita
    Thank you for your reply. I also take neuronton for rsd pain and that is an old anti siezure drug also.I just do not like to take two benzo's at once and also wonder why he is changing from valium to klonopin his only answer is that valium is an old drug.To me the 4 valium a day was a lesser dose then the 3 klonopin a day will be.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:28 AM   #14
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

You are welcome. You are right about the valium being the lesser dose of the two, and if you are on neurontin that should be enough protection in the seizure dept. anyway. I don't quite get why your doc favors a newer drug to older drug.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #15
    lorriem
    Veteran
    (female)

lorriem HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jennita View Post
    You are welcome. You are right about the valium being the lesser dose of the two, and if you are on neurontin that should be enough protection in the seizure dept. anyway. I don't quite get why your doc favors a newer drug to older drug.
    The only reason I can think of is that he didn't like writing a script for a drug for four a day and valium has a bad rap. Three a day sounds much better. He also told me when I first started seeing him almost three years ago that klonopin would last longer in my system. From all my readings that is not true Valium has the longest half life.It took him 2 years to say he wanted to switch me but then again this is FL and I moved from Ca three years ago and had the same doctor for 25 years who really knew me.

Closed Thread