It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board

• 500mg vicoden?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
    tandycipps
    (female)

tandycipps HB User
    500mg vicoden?

My nephew was sent home with 500 mg vicoden. He had the anurseum last week. Does anyone know anything about this med? We are just worried about him becoming addicted to all this stuff he is having to take.
    Thanks,
    Annie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User
    Re: 500mg vicoden?

It sounds like he was sent home with 5/500vicodin which is 5mg vicodin and 500mg acetaminophen. That is a very small dose of vicodin. It sounds like your nephew has been through a lot and I know you want to be careful, but if he is in pain, don't make him feel bad about taking the meds. He will heel faster with his pain managed. Most people who take meds for pain do not get addicted. He has a real need for this med. As long as he is taking it as prescribed he is ok. Keep communication open and try to relax a little.

Melissa

Old 09-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
    tandycipps
    (female)

tandycipps HB User

[QUOTE=Boxerluver;3715147]It sounds like he was sent home with 5/500vicodin which is 5mg vicodin and 500mg acetaminophen. That is a very small dose of vicodin. It sounds like your nephew has been through a lot and I know you want to be careful, but if he is in pain, don't make him feel bad about taking the meds. He will heel faster with his pain managed. Most people who take meds for pain do not get addicted. He has a real need for this med. As long as he is taking it as prescribed he is ok. Keep communication open and try to relax a little.

Melissa[/QUOTE
    At first in the hospital they had him on morphine then they said he was given 1,000mg vicoden. I've never heard of that, then they said they were giving him 500 mg to take at home. Is there such a thing as 1,000mg vicoden? We are not harping on him about taking the meds for his pain, very glad he has it to take, just concerned.
    Thanks,
    Annie

Old 09-04-2008, 12:18 AM   #4
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

I checked my drug books and some other resources and I couldn't find any inference to any hydrocodone (Vicodin) products that came in that high of a dose. I would re-check with his doc(s) to get some clarification.

I would love it if you could post back and let us know. It's hard to know what they're coming up with at the pharmaceutical companies these days. I am really curious to find out if there is such a dose. I'm inclined to agree with Melissa, that they miscommunicated the dose to him, but you never know.....

Whatever they are giving him, I hope it helps and that he heals quickly and as pain free as possible. Take care and best wishes to you and your nephew, CMP/MM

Old 09-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

I also couldn't find anything on that high of a dose. Hope he is feeling better and it's always good to be cautious.

Melissa

Old 09-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
    friendly_one
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

friendly_one HB User

It's Vicodin 5/500 (5mg hydrocodone & 500mg of Tylenol). There's no such thing as a 500mg dose of Vicodin (500mg of hydrocodone). Plus, I assume he's not in PM and this is from surgery, so logically, it's just plain old Vicodin 5mg. So, he was getting 2 tablets of Vicodin 5mg in the hospital. That's probably where she thought he was getting 1,000mg of hydrocodone, when it's just 1,000mg of Tylenol and 10mg of hydrocodone. Make sense??

Shay

Last edited by friendly_one; 09-04-2008 at 05:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Closed Thread