It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board

• how do i take myself off of zoloft

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
    msuguy01010
    (male)

msuguy01010 HB User
    how do i take myself off of zoloft

I started taking Zoloft a year ago for anxiety. I take 50mg once a day. I've decided I don't want to use a drug to help with my problems. I've been taking half my daily dose for a week now and I can definitely feel the withdrawal of the drug from my system. I have an increased anxiety that causes tightness in my chest. I also feel very unmotivated. However, I found that working out helps with the withdrawals. I go to the gym daily for at least 90 minutes. Working out has helped and hope it will continue to help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
    eyesworld
    Veteran
    (female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User
    Re: how do i take myself off of zoloft

I really think you should wean off under a doctor's supervision. How are you doing?

Old 05-26-2009, 02:21 AM   #3
    Chihiro76
    (female)

Chihiro76 HB User

I'm new here, but I joined to get a better handle on my own Zoloft withdrawal symptoms.

I started taking Zoloft 50mg in late 2005, and that dosage was increased to 100mg by early 2006. By the beginning of 2007 the situation I had been in which was causing my original symptoms had abated and I felt much better and in control of things. I decided to taper off (with my Drs approval and guidance) and got completely OFF the drug and through the brain shivers and other physical symptoms and was drug free before a few major depressive episodes caused me to go back on them. Looking back I realise that these episodes were part of the withdrawals, but I didn't recognise them as such because the brain zaps etc had finished (in my experience, the brain zaps lasted about three weeks, just FYI).

So I remained on Zoloft for another 12 months, and again proceeded to taper off again in mid 2008 - this time I tapered over 3 months instead of 6 weeks. Again, I was drug free and zap-free for about a month before resuming the drug - because I felt the depressive episodes weren't fair on my family.

Knowing that a much longer taper was necessary, I commenced the taper as soon as the Christmas/NY period was over at the beginning of this year (2009) - this was now my third attempt, and I planned it out to military precision - incorporating potentially stressful events into a schedule and opting not to decrease dosage during those events. I would reduce the dose by 12.5mg every four weeks (using a complicated formula of taking 100mg for 6 days, 87.5mg for 1 day for the first week, then 100mg for 5 days, 87.5mg for 2 days etc) until I was down to 12.5mg every three days - as soon as the brain shivers came on, I would take 12.5mg and then nothing for three days and so on. Eventually I was down to 6mg every four days (I'm not kidding, I was shaving the tablets right down, it was ridiculous).

So even after my last dose, the brain zaps still continued for 2.5 weeks before they stopped. That was 12mg PER WEEK, and I was still having withdrawals.

It's now been 4 weeks since that last dose - it was a 17 week taper - but I still find that I am suffering from mood swings and depression every so often. Some days I feel completely fine, and other days everything gets on top of me, I feel like a failure, a bad mother, a terrible wife etc. I sat in a hairdressers chair on the weekend listing out (in my head) all the blessings I have to be grateful for, but could not stop the tears from spilling out. For no reason at all.

It was the usual period I've lasted in the past before I freak out and think I should resume the drug, but this time I thought of all the posts from commenters on forums such as this one and thought, "NO. WAY. NOT. THIS. TIME." I'm NOT depressed, this is the long term Zoloft use that has done this to me.

So gradually since then I've been feeling a little better each day, and hope to feel back to normal eventually - from what I read this could be as long as 3-6 months away, maybe longer.

Do any other users have any stories about how they felt after the physiological symptoms abated? How long did it take?

The most frustrating thing was that when I was first prescribed Zoloft, I was going through something that no normal person would cope well with - a critically ill infant, in and out of hospital. Why did they prescribe Zoloft for me rather than just telling me that everything was going to be OK and to just ride it out? Why do they just give these things out because you're having a rough couple of months. Anyone would be an emotional wreck while spending a few months in the ICU of a childrens hospital, for heaven's sake. And once you start these things, it's next to impossible to get off them!

My doctor just told me that the drugs would help me get through the difficult period - she said nothing about the side effects and withdrawals. Foolishly, I believed her.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
    blueplate
    (male)

blueplate HB User

I have reduced dosage from 100 to 50 per day over 2 weeks, then 50 to 25 in the last week. I have started feeling head whooshes, lethargy, and anxiety for the past week. I was familiar with the "zaps" from when I would run out and not refill for a few days. Day 3 would guarantee zaps. I am glad I found this board, because it sounds like a pretty common experience. However, my doctor didn't ever warn me of the weaning effects, and it doesn't look like any of your doctors had much to say specifically, either. Btw, this tapering is doctor-prescribed. Good luck all.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
    hamstachick
    (female)

hamstachick HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chihiro76 View Post
    I'm new here, but I joined to get a better handle on my own Zoloft withdrawal symptoms.

I started taking Zoloft 50mg in late 2005, and that dosage was increased to 100mg by early 2006. By the beginning of 2007 the situation I had been in which was causing my original symptoms had abated and I felt much better and in control of things. I decided to taper off (with my Drs approval and guidance) and got completely OFF the drug and through the brain shivers and other physical symptoms and was drug free before a few major depressive episodes caused me to go back on them. Looking back I realise that these episodes were part of the withdrawals, but I didn't recognise them as such because the brain zaps etc had finished (in my experience, the brain zaps lasted about three weeks, just FYI).

So I remained on Zoloft for another 12 months, and again proceeded to taper off again in mid 2008 - this time I tapered over 3 months instead of 6 weeks. Again, I was drug free and zap-free for about a month before resuming the drug - because I felt the depressive episodes weren't fair on my family.

Knowing that a much longer taper was necessary, I commenced the taper as soon as the Christmas/NY period was over at the beginning of this year (2009) - this was now my third attempt, and I planned it out to military precision - incorporating potentially stressful events into a schedule and opting not to decrease dosage during those events. I would reduce the dose by 12.5mg every four weeks (using a complicated formula of taking 100mg for 6 days, 87.5mg for 1 day for the first week, then 100mg for 5 days, 87.5mg for 2 days etc) until I was down to 12.5mg every three days - as soon as the brain shivers came on, I would take 12.5mg and then nothing for three days and so on. Eventually I was down to 6mg every four days (I'm not kidding, I was shaving the tablets right down, it was ridiculous).

So even after my last dose, the brain zaps still continued for 2.5 weeks before they stopped. That was 12mg PER WEEK, and I was still having withdrawals.

It's now been 4 weeks since that last dose - it was a 17 week taper - but I still find that I am suffering from mood swings and depression every so often. Some days I feel completely fine, and other days everything gets on top of me, I feel like a failure, a bad mother, a terrible wife etc. I sat in a hairdressers chair on the weekend listing out (in my head) all the blessings I have to be grateful for, but could not stop the tears from spilling out. For no reason at all.

It was the usual period I've lasted in the past before I freak out and think I should resume the drug, but this time I thought of all the posts from commenters on forums such as this one and thought, "NO. WAY. NOT. THIS. TIME." I'm NOT depressed, this is the long term Zoloft use that has done this to me.

So gradually since then I've been feeling a little better each day, and hope to feel back to normal eventually - from what I read this could be as long as 3-6 months away, maybe longer.

Do any other users have any stories about how they felt after the physiological symptoms abated? How long did it take?

The most frustrating thing was that when I was first prescribed Zoloft, I was going through something that no normal person would cope well with - a critically ill infant, in and out of hospital. Why did they prescribe Zoloft for me rather than just telling me that everything was going to be OK and to just ride it out? Why do they just give these things out because you're having a rough couple of months. Anyone would be an emotional wreck while spending a few months in the ICU of a childrens hospital, for heaven's sake. And once you start these things, it's next to impossible to get off them!

My doctor just told me that the drugs would help me get through the difficult period - she said nothing about the side effects and withdrawals. Foolishly, I believed her.

Hi there! I was reading your post about Zoloft and your experience with it. I was wondering if you could tell me how you are doing now? I have panic disorder and debate daily whether I should start taking Zoloft or not. It's agonizing for me to have to take another SSRI, but so are panic attacks. I am wondering if once we start SSRIs, we are doomed to stay on them forever. I took Lexapro and stopped it; tried it again 3 months later and it made things worse, so I had to stop. Now I feel I need something again and I've read Zoloft helps with PD. But to start it all over again. Side effects, withdrawls, starting again, stopping and not being able to use the same med, and having to find another, then the same thing...or running out of meds I can take. Any help would help.

Thanks!
    Health Obsessed
    Separation anxiety
    Generalized anxiety disorder
    ~~*~BE HERE NOW~*~~
    ~~*~NAMASTE~*~~

Old 07-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
    ritualangst
    (female)

ritualangst HB User

i took zoloft for 2 years for severe anxiety/panic/depression- it helped me more than i can say but i was also lucky enough to get out of the situation that caused me to need the zoloft so under my doctor's supervision i slowly weaned myself off and OMG do i remember the "zaps" they are the worst but you know what??? they go away- you just have to keep cutting down on your dosage- take care of yourself physically (exercise-meditate-walk whatever you like) and try to keep up on your fluid intake and stay away from the junk food- be patient which is the hardest thing to do but honestly- when you finally do get through the withdrawl process and if you are indeed ready to be off the zoloft you will be a brand new person- the sun will be so much brighter- your smile will be so much bigger- your appreciation for all you have will increase 100% and you will be so proud of yourself but ONLY if you are ready to come off the zoloft because that may be what you need right now more than being off it-i wish you luck and never give up

Old 08-16-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
    ccoderun
    (male)

ccoderun HB User

Do it slowly, and you'll be just fine. I know, it's what you read from posts everywhere, but as a fellow (and soon to be former) Zoloft user, who is successfully withdrawing right now, I can say that the former statement is definitely true. (*You may be different, btw, so I would NOT recommend this route for everyone.*)

I am currently tapering off myself, making up my own schedule. I wasn't in a hurry to stop, so I figured that I could do it myself (no consultations or suggestions from my doc) as long as I went SLOW. (*You may be different, btw, so I would NOT recommend this route for everyone.*) Starting on May 19th, I started decreasing approx 25% every month or more.

3 mos later and I have been down to 25mg for the past two weeks now and doing great. I've read a lot of horror stories with quiting this medicine, but I never experienced anything too bad. Yes, there were dizzy and headache spells, but nothing that I couldn't handle, including even experiencing these while at the office working (don't get me wrong- that sucked!).

But I am here to say - GETTING OFF ZOLOFT IS VERY POSSIBLE IF YOU GO SLOW! (and yes, I was "shouting" that!

C Code Run

Old 09-12-2009, 06:36 AM   #8
    dancerone
    (female)

dancerone HB User

THANK YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU ALL. I started 10 months ago because of a meltdown and was placed on a 200mg dose plus xanax when needed. Over the initial period of it taking effect, it helped me through a rough time. After the 100 visits to numerous doctors my endocrinologist(my God) took over and recognized I was having major anxiety. After several months, I was feeling so much better. Nothing pretty much bothered me. And the, I realized my emotions were locked in this zone. I was not enjoying it, the weight gain, the loss of sexual desire ....I was ready to wean off. I began with 150 for a month...I was okay....I went onto 100mg a month.... I was okay.... I went on 50 a month....I was okay.... I kinda of stopped and BAM.... I was experiencing those ZAPS. those pulsating waves...sleeping in the movies, sleeping at the Japanese drumming, and them not sleeping at night. Oh boy, life was beginning to be challenging again. Not depressed but starting to question the physical il feelings. Was the anxiety coming back. Please no. Went back on 25..splitting thoses 100mg to quarters. All physical bad feelings lifted. My next step and question can a 100mg pill be cut into eighths.
    Fortunately, I found this symposium--and I wish you all well. You saved me from another bad passage. So thanks a million. I am rooting for all of you

Old 09-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
    empress610
    (female)

empress610 HB User

I've been on zoloft for about a year and a half. It is the only thing that helps with my migraines. I would get neurological symptoms as part of the migraine attack and zoloft has completely stopped those symptoms. I tried getting off of it last fall. I'm only on 50mg and I dropped down to 25mg and the neurological symptoms came back (not as bad though). It really scared me so I went back to 50mg. My doctor said I probably have to take zoloft for the rest of my life. She said it would be healthier to take the zoloft than to experience neurological symptoms that could damage my body. I really don't know what to believe. I really dont want to attempt getting off zoloft in 5 years or 10 years b/c I know it would be much harder to do. I know there are people with migraine that have been taking it for more than 10 years but there is not much research on its effects on your body over a long period of time.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #10
    jeannebeanne
    (female)

jeannebeanne HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chihiro76 View Post

I have been completely off Zoloft for about a month. Took it daily for nearly 7 years because everytime I tried to stop I would feel awful. Awful included...brain zaps, dizziness, loss of energy, crying jags, and even having difficulty completing projects or getting to appointments on time. I had a triple tragedy in 2001 that eventually led me to being perscribed Zoloft. Before that, I had gone through so many difficult times...divorce, death of my dad etc. I always thought of myself as a strong woman. I regret starting it. Now at the month mark i am still having brain zaps, dizziness which causes nausea and general malaise. I am going to the doctor tomorrow to say...???what??? I don't want to go on a different antdepressant. I wouldn't be depressed if I didn't feel horrible. Good luck and hang tuff!!!

Old 10-27-2009, 11:35 PM   #11
    jeannebeanne
    (female)

jeannebeanne HB User

thanks for the encouragement...been off for a month now and still feeling rough!

Old 11-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #12
    svwilloughby
    (female)

svwilloughby HB User

I wanted to ask anyone if they have been on zoloft for post-partum depression. I have been on for about 4 months now and I tried once to wean myself off. Bad idea. I was feeling a whooshing feeling in my head as well as back pains and other muscle pains, pains in my hands and feeling like shocks all over my body. Along with that, I felt very helpless and irritable. Now while I recognize that others have been on this far longer than i have, I have to find a solution to weaning myself off because I no longer have health insurance and only have one refill left of my presciption. I am a wife and mother of 3, including an 11 year old, a 16 month old and a 5 month old. So as you see, something has to give. I have to get a handle so that when the presciption does run out, I am still even and can care for my family. This is really a big deal for me so if anyone has any experience and has been successfully weaned off, I would appreciate hearing from you. My prescription is only 25mgs.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #13
    Thomasinaa
    Inactive
    (female)

Thomasinaa HB User

Thankyou all so much for your inspirational stories, I hope you are all continuing to do well. The drugs I take are different, but I have the similar side effects. I didn't realize that the brain zaps were withdrawl symptoms as when I mentioned these to my Dr. he said they were part of my sleep disorder. I've been weaning myself down from prozac, 60mgs to 20mgs daily and taking ativan only as needed (1mg) and amitripyline for sleep (30mgs).. low I know, but they still have an affect. So far so good, but I do get days where I feel awful and soooo sleepy.
    I have been on the prozac for years and the ativan started when my father passed away 3 years ago. I started getting panic attacks, which scared the heck out of me and ed me in the emergency department a couple of times.
    I do have other medical problems, like osteo arthritis..waiting for a new hip.. and fibromyalgia, and try to manage these problems with as little drugs as possible.
    Your stories make me realize that I too can do this and get off all these horrible meds.
    A BIG THANKYOU to you all
    Thomasinaa

Old 02-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #14
    kelsfoto
    (female)

kelsfoto HB User

I've takin Zoloft for 10-15 years now and am currently on my second week of weaning. I have a dizziness sensation most of the time and get, I guess, the "zaps". I've been on 100 mgs. for most of the time I've been on it...I spoke with our family doctor, as he's the prescriber, and was informed that I should wean myself off of this...he said to break the pills in half...goin to 50 mgs...then, just be finished with'em. Well, according to what I've been reading...that just may be a bad idea...from what I'm readin, it should go...50 mgs. then to 25 mgs. THEN off completely. I PRAY I don't need this once off completely!!! My reasoning for startin was night panic attacks. Although, I found out a year and half ago that I have Celiac Disease...so, I'm wonderin if that played a part in the mind thing. Guess we'll see.

Last edited by kelsfoto; 02-01-2010 at 02:17 PM.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:19 AM   #15
    zoloftallergy
    (female)

zoloftallergy HB User

I've also been on Zoloft 100mg for postpartum depression for about 7 months now. It took about a month to kick in, but once it did I felt great. It took care of that horrible PPD and I felt better than I did even before I had PPD so I decided to keep taking it indefinitely. Well, almost 3 weeks ago my dr. prescribed a cough medicine with codeine for me (which I've taken in the past, no problem). But this time, after 4 days of taking the codeine I woke up with a severely swollen face, lips and neck. Went to the doc, said probably allergic to codeine and gave me steroid shot and benadryl shot. At this point I only had one small hive. Also had to take oral Benadryl and other anthistamines. My hives kept getting worse and worse, my throat swelled up and this is after being on 3 different antihistamines, 1 week of prednisone, and numerous topical ointments. Nothing worked. Now, almost 3 weeks later, I'm on elimination diet because doctor said I must be allergic to something else, possibly food or environmental. But I'm thinking maybe I developed an allergy to Zoloft. I already dropped 25 mg because when I had my cough, nothing helped (not even the codeine which caused my original reaction). After doing some research, I found out that Zoloft could possibly make cough medicines ineffective. That's when I decided, no thanks, I'm getting off of this. So I started cutting the dose, but it's only been 3 days so far. If it is the Zoloft that is causing all these itchy, painful hives, I don't want to go through this for weeks while I cut down the dose slowly. Anyone know if I could change to another SSRI now to see if the hives go away or would I still get horrible withdrawal symptoms? I'm hoping I can do that and then slowly get off the other SSRI. I just want these hives gone! Anyone ever had a similar reaction to Zoloft? I realize it could be something else that is causing this, but I have a strong feeling that it is the Zoloft. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Closed Thread