It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Drug Interactions / Side Effects Message Board

• Cortisone shot still sore after 10 days

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
    Vocrinthedes
    Inactive
    (male)

Vocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB User
    Cortisone shot still sore after 10 days

10 days ago, I received a cortisone shot in the buttocks for an acute attack of sciatica. The internal injection area (opposite the sciatica side) became very sore within minutes.

Ironically, although the cortisone relieved my sciatica for a couple of days, the location where the cortisone was injected has remained moderately sore, something like a bruise inside my buttocks, for ten days.

I can feel no lump or swelling, and a couple of regular aspirin make the pain almost disappear. But as soon as the aspirin wears off, the soreness returns - still after 10 days. Meanwhile, the sciatica pain (in the opposite hip) has come back, but not nearly as painful as it originally was. So now I have balanced "pain in stereo" in my butt.

Has anyone had a cortisone injection stay sore this long?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
    joyful123
    Veteran
    (female)

joyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB User
    Re: Cortisone shot still sore after 10 days

I have had several cortisone shots and have had residual pain for a day or two - the worst day being the day after the shot. I would call the doctor's office and tell them about it and see what they say! Good luck!

Old 06-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
    lake county
    Inactive
    (male)

lake county HB Userlake county HB Userlake county HB User

I had one in my wrist joint yesterday. It was my second one ever and the first one was put in a diff. location. But this time it hurts so bad i could spit. Yesterday was miserable. Today is just as bad. Glad to see im not alone.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
    joyful123
    Veteran
    (female)

joyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB User

You could try putting some ice or heat on the injection site/area. Just a thought.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:03 AM   #5
    Vocrinthedes
    Inactive
    (male)

Vocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joyful123 View Post
    You could try putting some ice or heat on the injection site/area. Just a thought.
    Well, in my case, the ball of pain was so deep inside the buttock muscle (there was no sign of swelling or redness - nothing - on the surface) that I didn't think surface ice/heat would have helped much, especially not ice - I'd have had to freeze my whole left buttock, which sounded much more unpleasant than the pain I had. It began to go away on about the 12th or 13th day anyway. Long walks and long hot baths seemed to hurry it along. I should have posted an update.

No, Lake Country, you're certainly not alone. Cortisone is an amazing substance, but in the beginning, it can also hurt as bad as what it's supposed to be treating. I think maximizing the circulation of blood through the injection area is the best you can do - that's what ice and heat do.

Vocrin

Closed Thread

Tags
    cortisone injection, soreness