It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dyslexia Message Board

Question about Dyslexia

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
JP79
(male)

JP79 HB User
Question about Dyslexia

I was under the impression that Dyslexia had more to do with how you perceived information rather than how you communicate it.

Rather than make a mistake interpreting what it is, in hopes of identifying a problem I think I have, I decided to ask my questions here to people knowledgeable in these subjects. I wanted to know if this had anything to do with Dyslexia.

I find myself having a few problems when writing letters or posts. I will pace around the room trying to form the ideas I want to write down, so I do take a good 30 min to an hour writing down a full letter. Or 15 min writing down a short post like this one. However, when I review the posts I find that 75% of the time or more, I posted incomplete sentences. I will miss an "and" or an "or" or a "the" in several places. I usually make 3-4 mistakes like that. I don't become away of those mistakes when I'm reviewing them. I see them after the mails have been sent, or the posts have been posted.

Additionally, when I'm speaking, I sometimes find myself saying a word that is the complete opposite or has nothing to do with what I'm trying to say. For example, if I'm in a car giving directions, and we need to turn left, I'll say "Make a turn here to the right" (and I'm pointing to the left). I meant to say left, and I believe I said left, until I am able to remember the sound that came out of my mouth that makes me realize I actually said right.

That happens to me once a day in a conversation. Maybe it's just me being distracted. Or maybe it's an issue I have that's part of a bigger problem.

I don't know if anyone else has had similar experiences, or knows someone who has? And I wonder if anyone knows if this has anything to do with Dyslexia.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
lilj456
(female)

lilj456 HB User
Re: Question about Dyslexia

My son had dyslexia and is pretty much cured of it now that he is 25. I'm not sure you have it. Dyslexia is a mind processing problem. Dyslexics don't process information as others do. They take time to process questions and often don't understand what's being asked. It has nothing to do with opposites as most people incorrectly believe. My son was unable to read until he was 6 1/2 years old. He got the tools at a special school for dyslexics. And I know there are many dyslexic website you can use to understand what you have. You might want to go to a neurologist to examine your issues.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:08 AM   #3
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I agree. This doesnt sound like dyslexia. It does sound cognitive. You really should visit a neurologist to have some testing done to see if something is going on. You obviously are intelligent enough to realize what you are doing- which means you may not be able to help it due to some wires being crossed. Many neurological diseases can be helped with medication.

You havent had any bad falls or bangs to the head, car accidents or anything that would snap your neck back and forth, have you? Concussions can do this sort of thing to you as well..

A neurologist might be able to sort this out. Having a MRI would show if there is any medical reason why your brain is telling you to do the opposite of what you mean to say/do.

MSNik

Old 08-25-2015, 09:38 AM   #4
LDEvaluator
(female)

LDEvaluator HB User

The recommendation to see a neurologist is a good one. You posted your question quite a while ago, so it is likely that you have seen one already. The problems you mentioned with your writing are consistent with characteristics of dysgraphia, but the word finding difficulties are more related to expressive language issues. Good luck to you!

Reply Reply