It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board

How do you get yourself to eat when you have dysphagia?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2016, 11:56 PM   #1
gal3323
(female)

gal3323 HB User
How do you get yourself to eat when you have dysphagia?

I think I may have the dysphagia condition though. I have anxiety about eating these day. Even drinking water seems hard though. When I need to eat then I always need to drink a lot of water to get the food down though. I am losing weight since I am anxious to eat ya. Can anyone here with dysphgia give me advice on how to make yourself want to eat things when you are scared though. I know it's not good for me to be losing weight though. I can't help it since it's hard to want to eat when you are anxious about it ya. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
Mg2121
Veteran
(female)

Mg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB User
Re: How do you get yourself to eat when you have dysphagia though.

I recommend seeing a doctor to order a barium swallow but in the meantime try swallowing by turning your head to the side then chin down to shoulder. This may assist you in swallowing . However, again you have to see a doctor for this because if you do have dysphagia then you are at risk of aspiration which can cause many other serious issues.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:39 PM   #3
gal3323
(female)

gal3323 HB User
Re: How do you get yourself to eat when you have dysphagia?

Ya I need to see someone for this condition. Can you tell me how a barium swallow test is done though. Do you drink anything with it. How is it like. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:58 PM   #4
Mg2121
Veteran
(female)

Mg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB User

Yes. With a barium swallowing evaluation you drink and/or eat foods of different consistencies that have a type of dye in it that will show up on xray to watch where the substance is going. They are able to see if it is going down your esophagus like it should or if it is going down your trachea which would end up in the lungs. Sometimes they ask you to bring in troublesome foods from home that you may feel like your choking on. It's an easy test, and it allows the doctor to see what the issue is when you're swallowing.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:57 PM   #5
gal3323
(female)

gal3323 HB User

I still think I may have the dysphagia condition though. Does anyone know how long the barium test takes though. I just have anxiety to eat these day ya. I don't know how to get myself to eat more since I am anxious the food will not go down ya. Anyone has advice for me to make it easier to eat though. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:19 PM   #6
Myla88
(female)

Myla88 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gal3323 View Post
Ya I need to see someone for this condition. Can you tell me how a barium swallow test is done though. Do you drink anything with it. How is it like. Thanks.
I am currently going through dysphagia. I choked on a huge piece of French fries 11 days ago and after the heimlich i was able to breathe again but i cannot swallow my food. I have gotten endoscopy, barium swallw (esophogram) and a bunch of cat scans of my throat, chest and stomach. The doctors couldn't find anything wrong except that i have GERD. I am currently taking pantroprozole 40 mg twice a day for my acid reflux. But still cannot swallow anything except liquids barely. Please let me know if your condition has improved and if so how? Thanks.

Myla

Old 02-27-2017, 08:44 PM   #7
Eve1975
(female)

Eve1975 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gal3323 View Post
I think I may have the dysphagia condition though. I have anxiety about eating these day. Even drinking water seems hard though. When I need to eat then I always need to drink a lot of water to get the food down though. I am losing weight since I am anxious to eat ya. Can anyone here with dysphgia give me advice on how to make yourself want to eat things when you are scared though. I know it's not good for me to be losing weight though. I can't help it since it's hard to want to eat when you are anxious about it ya. Thanks.
I was also have what u have . my doctors think i may have a pocket on my left side of my throat where food gets stuck yea it is scary but im hanging in there water is fine for me its just solid foods i cant handle i have an appoiment with a nutrinest.my all startes with babe heartburn something called gerd. And i also have a hiatial hernia .check to see if u have any of these issues cause they cause dyspagia

Reply Reply