It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board

losing weight fast

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-2016, 04:52 AM   #1
pearlygirl1965
(female)

pearlygirl1965 HB User
losing weight fast

about 2 months ago while having a bowel movement it literally felt like something broke inside of me. I did't go to the hospital ,cause I have COPD and I spend a lot of time in and out of the hospital already. So basically after the BROKE feeling happened , I noticed that bending over at the waist was feeling pinched or like being cut in half. So i just stopped bending over. Then about a week later , it became difficult or down right hard to swallow my food. It felt like it gets stuck between where my bra goes in the front, right behind my breast bone. So naturally I stopped eating. So I went to my Dr. He said it sounded like a hiatal hernia and he made me an appointment with a GI doctor. Well the wait to get to see the GI doctor was a month and a half. During that time not eating at all became the norm and then one day out of nowhere I couldn't swallow my morning coffee. Then that same day I noticed I couldn't even swallow my normal iced tea. And that was the start to my own personal hell. After 12 days with no food and 4 days with no fluids , I called my doctor and told him I needed a prescription for nausea and puking , because I was dehydrated , and starving. He prescribed zophran, which became a life saver, but he only prescribed 40 of them and there were still 32 days to go before my GI appointment. He said he didn't want to mask any symptoms. I told him if he didn't give me more then I would not be alive to make it to the GI DR. I saw the GI Dr. on June the 7th. At the time I saw him I have lost so much weight it isn't funny. I am 50 yrs old , 5' 3" and i had a starting weight of 197, on the 7th they weighed me and I am down to 162. That's a total loss of 35 lbs in less than a month. Apparently my weight loss and severe dehydration is not a big worry to this GI doctor that I am seeing. Because all he did was prescribe 10 pills of zophran 4mg every 8 hours. and a barrium swallow test and he sent me home. I know wow right? . I was shocked also. So I called his office and asked him if maybe the script was a mistake. and if it wasn't he needed to pick the 3 days of the next month he wanted me to eat and drink on. I have been 10 days with no food as of now and am only able to get down very minute amounts of any liquid .When you do the pinch the hand test to see if you are dehydrated , my skin stays standing for a good minute at this moment. My barrium swallow test is scheduled for the 15th of june so that's still a few days off. I have no insurance and am a cash paying person for any and all treatments. Because I can not afford healthcare . So later today ( friday 10th of june) when my husband gets paid I will fill the zophran script. I have a few questions if someone out there can answer them for me, please. I have noticed that consistency of things really plays a very large role in what I can actually get down while on the Zophran. Like applesauce won't go down with out getting stuck and or gagging or me puking. But pudding goes down without any problems. Scrambled eggs are a serious NO go , and things like bread are a no go either. But i can get down a piece of bacon on a good day. I feel weak and tired all of the time now. I literally feel like I am dying. And since my grandson is here with me during the summer I am worried that I am not going to make it. Is there anyone out there who can help me and explain to me why when I can get a fluid down it makes my stomach hurt so bad and I start crying from the pain.? Is there anything out there that I can do to get the necessary nutrients i need to maintain my current weight. I keep losing weight daily and I'm scared I'll just dry up and blow away? Now I have looked everywhere I can on the net for help. Pureeing foods will not be an option because even without this problem I have an excellent gag reflex. All I really would like is a steak a baked potato and a salad. But those 3 are a no go , so I'm resigning myself to the fact that I will never eat them again. Pudding is becoming a terrible choice and I'm not sure that I can continue to survive on just pudding. I eat popsicles in the between times , not a great diet but it puts something in my stomach. Yes I also eat soup. Tomato soup is a no go but clam chowder works great. I am also able to get down butternut squash bisque. But after a month of eating just those 4 things popsicles, squash soup, pudding and clam chowder , I am now burnt out on them regardless of the fact they keep me sustained. I have gone from being a gallon a day iced tea drinker to only water and gatorade in minute amounts. . No i do not drink sodas. So I ain't gonna start now. I would love to eat some broccoli, or cabbage or some kind of veggie , but veggies are not possible at this time. I am at a serious loss for what to do and I'm starting to lose hope. I would love to hear from someone who is going though this or has gone through this, please. I am dying for some kind of breakfast food, since those are the times i do the clam chowder and butternut bisque, yeah soup for breakfast on a good day with Zophran. Please please please someone offer me advice or options that I can try , something because I am desperate.And I am tired of my grandson seeing me puke and gag all day every day . Thank you for letting me speak and i would greatly appreciate any words of wisdom .

Pearlygirl 1965

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply