It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board

Desperate and getting sicker

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #1
jlisa

jlisa HB User
Desperate and getting sicker

Hi all,
for the past two years I have been suffering with this array of symptoms:
-Sensation of food/liquid stuck in esophagus/chest area and any movement particularly bending down, lifting, laughing etc seems to bring it up
-Feel nauseous most of the time due to the food stuck feeling
-Excessive belching and sometimes trapped 'belches'
-Occasional vomiting
-Sharp pains in abdomen and general IBS symptoms
-Lump/Globus feeling in throat (excessive mucus)
-Asthma symptoms becoming less controlled by inhalers
-Weight loss and obvious nutritonal deficiencies/muscle twitches, exhaustion,brittle hair, brittle nails etc.. obviously not absorbing many things
-Feels like the transit of my GI tract is slower
-Sore throats
-Loss of tooth enamel

Now I have had:
Blood tests which confirmed a few suspected deficiencies, endoscopy showing mild reflux damage, but otherwise no strictures or ulcers in duodenum, ultrasound of abdomen which looked normal, had a CT scan of abdomen(haven't received results yet), had a barium swallow which showed normal functioning(liquids are easier to go down so i assumed that would be the case), and a chest x ray, waiting for a Breath Test for bacterial overgrowth(I'm not sure if this will explain all of these upper GI symptoms anyway) , I hope to have the gastric emptying study(where you eat a radioactive food and they take x rays of it in transit to see if there is delayed stomach emptying etc) and a manometry to test for pressure in esophagus. I am also leaning toward seeing an E.n.T doctor as i recently heard about atypical reflux (LPR) but i know that the treatment for this is usually in the way of GERD treatment and I've heard its not that effective.

Anyone else have the same symptoms and what was your diagnosis/treatment plan?

I feel so incredibly ill and I've already eliminated most allergens from my diet and i never ate particularly unhealthy prior to this anyway. I'm so confused.

The following user gives a hug of support to jlisa:
movielover40 (06-30-2016)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2016, 08:53 AM   #2
movielover40
Senior Veteran
(male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User
Re: Desperate and getting sicker

I've had basically every test you mentioned.

Best thing I ever found was drinking some hot liquid like tea while eating and making my sure my food was properly warmed up before eating. Wait a bit between each bite also.

The warm tea seems to relax my whole esophagus allowing the food to pass thru much easier.

Avoid overeating.

Best of luck to you.

Reply Reply