It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board

food goes down slowly/feels stuck - stress?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #1
psycholainey
(female)

psycholainey HB User
food goes down slowly/feels stuck - stress?

hi -- about a year ago, I was eating and food suddenly felt stuck right in the middle of my chest. It didn't happen again for a couple months, and then it was on and off intermittent dysphagia (food sometimes felt like it was going down my esophagus really slowly) until last Friday when I went to my doctor, hoping he would say it was GERD. I've never really had heartburn, but have had lifelong mild stomach issues, plus a bad anxiety disorder. I'm 37 / female.

My doctor didn't mention GERD, and referred me to a gastroenterologist (appt next week). This freaked me out (I also looked at Dr. Google for dysphagia, which was a mistake!!) and since then, I've felt every single bite of food going down my esophagus / feeling stuck, plus burping, sour stomach, and a bit of heartburn.

Can this huge uptick in symptoms this week be caused by stress / anxiety? My grandmother (94) and uncle (72) both had esophagus cancer, so I'm a bit concerned.

The following user gives a hug of support to psycholainey:
movielover40 (08-17-2016)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2016, 06:53 PM   #2
Jellisa
(female)

Jellisa HB User
Re: food goes down slowly/feels stuck - stress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycholainey View Post
hi -- about a year ago, I was eating and food suddenly felt stuck right in the middle of my chest. It didn't happen again for a couple months, and then it was on and off intermittent dysphagia (food sometimes felt like it was going down my esophagus really slowly) until last Friday when I went to my doctor, hoping he would say it was GERD. I've never really had heartburn, but have had lifelong mild stomach issues, plus a bad anxiety disorder. I'm 37 / female.

My doctor didn't mention GERD, and referred me to a gastroenterologist (appt next week). This freaked me out (I also looked at Dr. Google for dysphagia, which was a mistake!!) and since then, I've felt every single bite of food going down my esophagus / feeling stuck, plus burping, sour stomach, and a bit of heartburn.

Can this huge uptick in symptoms this week be caused by stress / anxiety? My grandmother (94) and uncle (72) both had esophagus cancer, so I'm a bit concerned.

Ive got the same problem as you. took a while but they finally diagnosed me with esophagal dysmotility which is the same thing as dysphagia really so that doesn't lead me anywhere because i knew i had that anyway. The thing is doctors will say its caused by stress but that would mean everyone in highly stressful situations would have the same problem. I'm only stressed because i can barely eat, so don't let them fob you off with that.
I believe its related to lower gut issues which I'm still trying to gt to the bottom of. It all relates to eachother, the whole gi Tract. stress obviously helps no one but it can't be the sole cause. My main consultant wants me on certain meds to see if it will help, but i am wary of the side effects.
do you find your teeth enamel wearing away, do you get sharp pains in abdomen? does it feel like trapped air in your chest cavity only relieved by burping? i have all this and its awful.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:41 AM   #3
movielover40
Senior Veteran
(male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

Try drinking some warm tea or coffee before/while eating and see if that helps.

At your age I wouldn't worry about cancer.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:26 AM   #4
Joe02324
(male)

Joe02324 HB User

Had the same symptoms as you and saw a gastro/ent - diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and gerd-- only course of action they gave me was ppis- stay away from certain foods, reduce streas, etc-- but yes stress can cause all kinds of gastro issues leading to dysphagia, etc.. things have improved for me but its taken months..improvement can be slow.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:46 PM   #5
golfhat
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

I have the same problem and have to throw up to get the stuck food out. My problem is esophageal stricture caused by a hiatal hernia. the acid backs up for years without it causing major problems but you don't realize scar tissue is forming. basically it is across the bottom of my esophagus leading to the stomach!

a lot of foods are off my list especially in restaurants. I have had my fill of having to excuse myself in a restaurant to go throw up. my family now knows what is going on.

the solution is meds to help eliminate the acid and also surgery. this could be your problem I noticed no one on this thread mentioned it.

Reply Reply