It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board

Trouble Swallowing After Endoscopy

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2016, 07:16 AM   #1
ShaylaDee
(female)

ShaylaDee HB User
Trouble Swallowing After Endoscopy

On Wednesday (2 days ago) I had both a gastroscopy and colonoscopy checking for Crohns Disease and Ulcerative Colitis because I have been having constant severe stomach pains and difficulties eating/swallowing/digesting foods. They ended up taking 13 biopsies all together (which I think seems excessive..) 11 for gastroscopy and 2 for colonoscopy. I also found it odd that no one came to talk to me about the test or results or Anything really, I just read about the biopsies on a piece of paper.. After the procedure I felt okay, they had to put me under but I woke up quickly and drank water/ate food fine. The next day and today however, I have been in a severe amount of pain, I can feel every spot they took a biopsy, a lot are in my esophagus and I have been having difficulty swallowing. Just swallowing saliva is the worst as an air bubble seems to get stuck in my throat Every time, swallowing everything else though the food/water gets stuck going down.. it almost feels as if it's deciding whether to go into my stomach or my windpipe. I know they suggest going to Emerg if this happens but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if maybe it will dissipate on its own? Honestly, I'm in the Dr Office/Hospital every week and they constantly say "wait it out" or "take pain meds", so I don't know if it's worth going in if that's all they're going to do.. it's Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada so I don't want to be struggling to eat but I don't know what else they can do for me.. does anyone have an idea or suggestions of what I can do to ease the situation? Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2016, 11:33 PM   #2
tuc49314

tuc49314 HB User
Re: Trouble Swallowing After Endoscopy

Hi. I think I am experiencing similar reaction to endoscopy like you. I had one today morning, and it felt fine right after the procedure. However, I am in so much pain now. My back hurts so bad that I woke up in the middle of the night and sitting here like this.. my throat hurts badly too. did any of you pain go away?? Are you still having these symptoms?? I am going to call the doctor tomorrow and let them know what I am experiencing but just want to know how you are doing now.. thanks!!

Old 11-29-2016, 07:32 AM   #3
ShaylaDee
(female)

ShaylaDee HB User
Re: Trouble Swallowing After Endoscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc49314 View Post
Hi. I think I am experiencing similar reaction to endoscopy like you. I had one today morning, and it felt fine right after the procedure. However, I am in so much pain now. My back hurts so bad that I woke up in the middle of the night and sitting here like this.. my throat hurts badly too. did any of you pain go away?? Are you still having these symptoms?? I am going to call the doctor tomorrow and let them know what I am experiencing but just want to know how you are doing now.. thanks!!
Hi, it's been quite a while since the procedure and things are better now. For me it took 2 weeks until I could swallow properly. I went to the ER to get it checked out but no one saw me.. they didn't take the situation seriously. I don't know what your medical system is like but I do know it should go away in time. Just eat slowly, chew thoroughly, and swallow carefully. If you can take pain medication, a muscle relaxant should help with the back pain. I also bought a numbing spray for the throat pain that worked fairly well, you could try that! I hope things get better quickly for you!

Last edited by ShaylaDee; 11-29-2016 at 07:34 AM.

Reply Reply