It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board

• 3 Months of Dysphagia, looking for opinions

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-08-2017, 03:12 PM   #1
    shawnnathon
    (male)

shawnnathon HB User
    Exclamation 3 Months of Dysphagia, looking for opinions

About me: 27, Male, no history of GERD or reflux until recently. I've been experiencing dysphagia for about 3 months. It started out feeling like a slight hesitation while eating, and it's not to the point where I can't swallow solids and struggle with thick liquids (no pain). It almost feels like I've forgotten how to swallow.

I'm a relatively fit person, recently a 'former smoker', and down about 16lbs since this all started.

Some symptoms that may or may not be related that all started around the same time: fatigue (sleeping 10-12 hours a night), one ear has been randomly clogging up as if there's fluid but no pain, and when I do try to drink/eat my mouth produces a thick string-like saliva.

I've had an upper endoscopy done recently, and was diagnosed with 'chronic mild esophagitis'. The GI recommended I take OTC omeprazole, and scheduled a follow-up in four weeks. It's been about 2 weeks, and there's been no change in my ability to swallow.

I'm starting to worry that the dysphagia and esophagitis are unrelated. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm starting to feel worried/desperate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
    90Chelsea
    (female)

90Chelsea HB User
    Re: 3 Months of Dysphagia, looking for opinions

Hi! I'm a 26 year old female having some of the same symptoms, it's been going on over 5 months now. Have you gotten a diagnosis?

Old 10-09-2017, 06:45 AM   #3
    Queenie99

Queenie99 HB User
    Re: 3 Months of Dysphagia, looking for opinions

I have GERD and hypercontractile esophagus (Nutcracker/Jackhammer esophagus). The hypercontractile esophagus (HE) is described as frequent, super strong contractions of the esophagus. For me, the HE causes the dysphagia. Calcium Channel Blockers and nitrates are commonly prescribed to treat this condition (I can't take due to the side effect of headaches which causes my migraines to be worse). My GI put me on Amitriptyline to treat the HE and I go back in January after being on it for 3 months.

Last edited by Queenie99; 10-09-2017 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Corrected grammar

Reply Reply

Tags
    dysphagia, esophagitis, gerd, omeprazole, swallow