It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board

How to deal with anxiety eating?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2018, 07:15 AM   #1
Sp20
(female)

Sp20 HB User
How to deal with anxiety eating?

Hi, I have been diagnosed with esophageal stricture since 2015 when I had an esophageal dilation. Over the past few months eating has begun to be difficult again, I must have a full bottle of water to get through a meal without food getting stuck in my lower esophagus.
I feel more anxious every time I eat lately, and just can't seem to feel calm about it.
Before I was diagnosed, food would get stuck just above my stomach and cause pain, I would have to drink to push it through. Even though I am not experiencing pain again yet, I only get the feeling of food backing up, I am more anxious than I ever was before knowing what was wrong!
I just don't understand why I feel so anxious about this now! Does anyone have any advice on how to calm down? Has anyone else had esophageal dilation surgery? Did you have to get it again after a while? Thanks.

Last edited by Sp20; 02-12-2018 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Misspelled medical word

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
hbguy1
(male)

hbguy1 HB Userhbguy1 HB User
Re: How to deal with anxiety eating?

I have eosinophilic esophagitis and one of the symptoms is dysphagia. There have been times where I wished I could take a magical pill and not have to eat at all. One thing that helps with anxiety in my own situation is exercise and running. It reduces stress and helps build an appetite.

I do prefer eating alone though because eating with people increases the anxiety.

I find that carbonated water can really help to get the food down.

Are you taking a PPI?

Old 02-12-2018, 05:15 PM   #3
Sp20
(female)

Sp20 HB User

Thanks for the suggestions. Exercise does seem to help with overall stress, I will have to try figuring out a way to do some light exercise before each meal and see if that helps with the eating anxiety.

I do not take any PPI as they ended up causing my stomach to produce more acid (I guess it's something to do with there not being enough to digest my food so it kicked into overdrive?) But I do take calcium (tums..) and that helps with any occasional heartburn. Mostly I have learned over the past few years foods to avoid, and not to lay down after eating.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #4
Sp20
(female)

Sp20 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbguy1 View Post
I find that carbonated water can really help to get the food down.
I have never tried carbonated water, but carbonated drinks like coke or ginger all seem to make things worse for me. Possibly it is because I also have hiatal hernia, I think I forgot to mention that in my original post.

I have found that room temperature or warmer drinks help, but ice cold drinks seem to make everything tighten up and get worse.

Reply Reply