It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board

Food getting stuck in esophagus? Help!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2018, 07:20 AM   #1
Chellybean18
(female)

Chellybean18 HB UserChellybean18 HB UserChellybean18 HB User
Food getting stuck in esophagus? Help!

Hello. I am 25 female. And for probably a year or so now every now and then when I eat the food will get stuck in my esophagus and stick for a minute without moving or letting drink or saliva down...like the feeling of eating to fast and having it hurt for a bit but I cant get drink down or anything. I notice it happen with drier foods like bread. Ok so yesterday was the scariest time it has ever happened. I was with my bf eating a subway sandwich (very dry on the big bread) and I was excited for a concert we were going to so I was eating not slow but not fast, normally I guess and all of a sudden the food started feeling like it was piling up in my esophagus and having the pain thing so I stopped eating for a second and all of a sudden I couldnt barely breathe I was swallowing saliva but it WOULD NOT go down I was coughing and wheezing and the food still sat not going to the stomach....I was about to tell him to call an ambulance when suddenly the bite I took all came up along with the saliva I had been swallowing..the pain went away and I could finally breathe but my anxiety had kicked in...so I was ok and made it to the concert but I'm now anxious and afraid to eat does anyone know what could be going on I'm literally terrified of eating. There's no pain or anything at other times I dont get acid reflux that much and I'm not losing weight or anything, but of course I'm thinking its a tumor....any help please!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2018, 07:30 AM   #2
hbguy1
(male)

hbguy1 HB Userhbguy1 HB User
Re: Food getting stuck in esophagus? Help!

Hi there,

The only way to find out is to have an endoscopy done. I was having the same problem and they determined that I have eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE).

I can pretty much eat normally again but I take medication for it. It is more common in males so you may not necessarily have the same thing.

In people our age, EoE and GERD are common causes for food sticking in the esophagus. Remember to chew food thoroughly to prevent that uncomfortable sensation. I have been there before and know exactly how frightening it can be when the food is stuck.

Unless you are having black stools and significant weight loss, it is extremely unlikely that it is a tumour in someone your age. (This is what my doctor told me when I first reported the symptom of food sticking.)

Old 07-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #3
Chellybean18
(female)

Chellybean18 HB UserChellybean18 HB UserChellybean18 HB User
Re: Food getting stuck in esophagus? Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbguy1 View Post
Hi there,

The only way to find out is to have an endoscopy done. I was having the same problem and they determined that I have eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE).

I can pretty much eat normally again but I take medication for it. It is more common in males so you may not necessarily have the same thing.

In people our age, EoE and GERD are common causes for food sticking in the esophagus. Remember to chew food thoroughly to prevent that uncomfortable sensation. I have been there before and know exactly how frightening it can be when the food is stuck.

Unless you are having black stools and significant weight loss, it is extremely unlikely that it is a tumour in someone your age. (This is what my doctor told me when I first reported the symptom of food sticking.)
Omg thanks so much! This made me feel better about what could possibly be going on. I will see my doctor soon and hopefully it is something minor. I also have anxiety which could be a trigger for it too. But thanks again! Its Nice to know I'm not alone.

Closed Thread