It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dysphagia Message Board

Need Help Interpreting Esophageal Motility Study

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
super2mom
(female)

super2mom HB User
Post Need Help Interpreting Esophageal Motility Study

I recently had an esophageal motility study. I would like to better understand how to interpret the results. I received a copy of the report but do not see the ordering physician for 2 more weeks.
The final 2 lines on the report say this:

Interpretation/Findings: Hypotensive LES. Low aptitude contractions in esophageal body are generally peristaltic but with multiple waveforms which fail to propagate.

Impressions: non-specific esophageal motility disorder

The report has tons more information but it doesn't make sense to me. I am scheduled for an ACDF in 3 weeks but I am concerned because frequently that procedure affects the esophagus and I don't want to do something I will regret.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
Jowry
(male)

Jowry HB User
Re: Need Help Interpreting Esophageal Motility Study

Hi Super2Mom,

Didn't think I would find someone who received the same diagnosis as me so quickly!

From the last two lines of the report, it sounds like you have what I have: Ineffective Motiliy Disorder. My gastro explained it as an unclassified esophageal disorder with no real treatment. Basically he told me I should chew slower, but my issue is a little different than yours.

Here's what was written:
Sequences of failed peristalsis. Low amplitude contractions. Low LES resting pressures.

Hopefully everything works out for you. Please be sure to let us know how it went!

Old 05-21-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
Jowry
(male)

Jowry HB User

Whoops...didn't realize this post was so old...

Old 09-08-2015, 11:10 PM   #4
angellady65
(female)

angellady65 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by super2mom View Post
I recently had an esophageal motility study. I would like to better understand how to interpret the results. I received a copy of the report but do not see the ordering physician for 2 more weeks.
The final 2 lines on the report say this:

Interpretation/Findings: Hypotensive LES. Low aptitude contractions in esophageal body are generally peristaltic but with multiple waveforms which fail to propagate.

Impressions: non-specific esophageal motility disorder

The report has tons more information but it doesn't make sense to me. I am scheduled for an ACDF in 3 weeks but I am concerned because frequently that procedure affects the esophagus and I don't want to do something I will regret.
Hi I was reading your post. Thanks for sharing. I have a esophageal Motility dysfunction. I choke and have difficulty swallowing all the time. I have Gastrepresis as well. This is a disorder of the digestive process. My stomach don't move even in 6 hours causing nausea and stomach pain as well as weight loss. I understand your discomfort. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:22 PM   #5
Sezza84
(female)

Sezza84 HB UserSezza84 HB User

Hello. I was also just diagnosed with poor esophageal motility, hypotensive LES and hypertensive UES. I am finding this very hard to deal with. I have suffered with silent reflux for many years but the difficulty swallowing has only come about in the last 18 months. I have trouble with meats, bread, potatoes among other things. Any advice would be much appreciated. I know anxiety does not help my extra tight UES but it's hard not to get worked up when you have this condition.

Reply Reply

Tags
acdf. swallowing, esophagus, motility