It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Mild Sore Throat -> Big Ear Pressure Problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2015, 10:27 AM   #1
    JackFack
    (male)

JackFack HB User
    Mild Sore Throat -> Big Ear Pressure Problems

Hi all, I'm going to describe a problem I've had recently with the hopes someone can provide some advice or personal experience on the matter. 20 year old male.

It started 5 days ago. I could tell I had a sore throat coming on, i.e. I had very mild pain and discomfort in my throat. But it never fully materialized, at most I would feel a bit of discomfort at night but for all intents and purposes I had no real sore throat to speak of.

What DID happen is that a day after I noticed the oncoming sore throat symptoms, my (right) ear went haywire. Specifically it felt full and my hearing was extremely dulled. I was sitting in a classroom and people's voices were echoing in my ear. Concurrently with this, I had a lot of congestion and mucus coming out of my nose. The next day, it started to get painful, so I talked to a doc and they recommended sudafed to help with congestion and take the pressure off. The pain responded well to sudafed, but the last few nights the pain in my ear wakes me up in the middle of the night (presumably because the medicine wears off). Last night, I woke up in the middle of the night with BOTH ears affected, with the result that my head felt like it was being crushed from both sides.

Anyway, now the right ear is again the primary problem but I can tell my left ear is affected as well (just not as severely). My ear feels full and my hearing is dulled. When listening to music it is not only harder to hear, but it also sounds flat. In any case, I know this is a eustachian tube problem, and related to congestion. What I am wondering is how does a very mild sore throat and congestion issue lead to such a debilitating problem for my ears? And might I expect this to go away when the congestion goes, or am I most likely in it for the long haul? I am on my sixth day of this already and I am rarely, if ever, sick for that long. Thank you so much for anyone able to offer advice.

Background: I've never experienced anything like this before. The closest thing is a few years ago, after multiple flights in one day, my ears took weeks to fully "pop". No pain was involved, just extreme aggravation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    eustachian tube, pressure in ear, sore throat