It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Likelihood of Quinsey vs. Tonsillitis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #1
    Earguy100
    (male)

Earguy100 HB User
    Likelihood of Quinsey vs. Tonsillitis

So a few days ago I noticed a swelling in my throat/lymph node (on one side of my neck), few days on and my right tonsil is hugely swollen, pushing in to the uvula. I went to see the GP today, who diagnosed tonsillitis of some kind (he couldn't say whether it were bacterial or viral), and issued some penicillin for a 10 day course in case it proves to be bacterial.

However, after doing some research, my throat seems to resemble an abscess on the right tonsil, though there are some white spots. I make this distinction because I have pretty much all symptoms of quinsey:

Fever, headache, earache, bad breath, 'hot-potato' voice, a swell on the lymph node under my ear, difficulty swallowing and pain in the tonsil.

Is quinsey something that would be spotted right away? He did have a look in my throat of course. My worry is that he just didn't spot it, arrogant as that sounds, since from what I can find online, tonsillitis on one side only is uncommon, and the pictures of abscesses seem to match with what I see in my own throat. Is it very unlikely that he'd not have spotted the quinsey?

Will probably go back tomorrow. Might say that I don't currently feel physically sick. Can move around and stuff but feel pretty bad.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-15-2015 at 05:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
    Seraph
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
    Re: Likelihood of Quinsey vs. Tonsillitis

It is good that you are taking anti biotics. This is why the doctor prescribed them of course. Go back to see him, this throat needs to be checked and examined. As to whether he should have spotted it, a developing abscess behind the tonsil is not very obvious, but he took the right precautions. It may need draining. Good luck, Sera

Closed Thread

Tags
    ent