It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

Struggling post op

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2015, 03:35 AM   #1
katiebrew08
(female)

katiebrew08 HB User
Struggling post op

I had my tonsils out last Wednesday its been about 8 days. The first couple of days were a breeze even though I was too scared to eat anything besides popsicles. So like I said, I'm now on day 8 and I'm in the worst pain ever. My throat burns whenever I drink water, hot or cold. I still haven't eaten because I'm terrified that food particles will get stuck back there and cause even more pain. I'm pretty sure I'm becoming dehydrated due to the color of my urine, the cramping of my calves and how dizzy I feel sometimes. Despite the burning, I still drink the water just to keep hydrated but I'm not sure its working. Also, aren't my scabs supposed to be falling off right around now? Could that be the cause of the extreme pain and burning I'm feeling? I still have trouble opening my mouth wide enough so I don't even know what it looks like back there. How will I know when I'm about to descab?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2015, 08:08 AM   #2
Rvdjc24
(male)

Rvdjc24 HB User
Re: Struggling post op

Hey!!! I got my surgery done last Thursday and I've been reading a lot of forums that have been helping me. I have also come up with a few techniques that help myself. So first I would advise to take showers as tired as you are, they really do help. For pain I have stopped taking the strong pain meds because I ran out and instead I have been taking children's liquid Ibuprofen(take 5ml) Ifrom your an adult. Your throat will get scratchy instantly after you drink it but chase it with water. Set a timer on your phone and within 15 mins the pain will subside for about 3 hours. These three hours are really important, you have to drink as much as you can. The reason you're in so much pain is because your body is dehydrated. I learned that quick. Another thing that I am doing since I ran out of children's inbuprofen is crushing up regular Tylenol and putting It into a spoonful of applesauce. Make sure the Tylenol isn't time release or anything, just regular Tylenol. It's pretty cool finding a person who is feeling the same pain as me real time. Reply back with questions or comments Id love to have a conversation

Closed Thread

Tags
dehydrated, pain, tonsillectomy