It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Tonsilectomy recovery at 26 (positive)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
    Daisy James
    (female)

Daisy James HB User
    Smile Tonsilectomy recovery at 26 (positive)

Hi guys

Im 26 and currently on day 9 post op tonsillectomy. My op was performed using the traditional method in the UK and I wanted to post my experience in case anyone else is due to have the surgery and terrified looking through all the horror stories online(like I was).

I put this surgery off for years as I was so scared that it was going to be unbearable pain for weeks.
    It has been nowhere near as bad as I expected and I really wish I had done it sooner.

So....day 1 (surgery day) I had no pain as the anaesthetic was still in my system. The next day pain started, but not that bad, it did get worse and day 3 to 6 were my worst days, but even then the pain was very manageable.
    I have eaten normally pretty much the entire time, tho on days 3 to 6 I had more soft things such as mash and soup, but I also ate toast and cornflakes for breakfast. it is a real effort to swallow and it does hurt but I think this really helped my recovery, my throat muscles felt really weak but I literally forced myself to eat and I think this has helped me loads....also drinking tons of water is so important as it stops your throat drying out.

I read loads of tonsillectomy stories before my op and lots of people described mucus building up at the back of their throat and you cant clear it (to hard to cough)....this was true for me, it kind of feels like something is choking you. Its not that bad, more annoying than anything and does slowly get better. I was also very tired for the first 6 days, which I think is normal after most surgery's....I slept a few hours each day but I always got up, had a shower and got dressed every morning and this helped to make me feel normal (just be careful of very hot showers during the first week due to the risk of bleeding). I was out walking my dogs from day 5 onwards and it was nice to get some fresh air.

The only painkiller I have taken is paracetamol....no strong prescription drugs(that the hospital gave me) mainly because they have always made me feel crappy in the past, and also I just didn't need them. Paracetamol worked well, but I did take them about every 4-5 hours during the first week.
    As of today (day 9) I have taken no pain relief and hopefully wont need to again. Im eating completely normally now and just waiting for the scabs to fall off....there not painful but a bit annoying as food can get stuck in them, plus they look gross!!

All in all this surgery hasn't been that bad, there was never a time when I thought I couldn't cope with the pain...ive lost no weight as I have eaten proper food from day 1 (just be careful when swallowing) and I feel almost back to normal on day 9 post op, it just feels like a mild sore throat now and the annoying scabs are still there......I've had better weeks but really its been nowhere near as bad as I was expecting.

I hope this story helps someone, I was so scared reading all the horror stories about people being in agony and not being able to swallow their own spit after this op. Everyone's recovery will be different and im sure these stories are true, but its definitely not that bad for everyone.

Its to early to report any benefits from having no tonsils(I didn't really get tonsillitis just lots of throat infections and they were pitted and nasty) but im glad its done and it wasn't such a terrible experience after all

Good luck to everyone due to have a tonsillectomy.....I hope your recovery goes well x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    tonsilectomy