It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

Tonsillectomy Recovery

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #1
nortt60
(female)

nortt60 HB User
Thumbs up Tonsillectomy Recovery

Hi all, I am a 20 year old female. I had my tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy 12 days ago, and so far it has been a smooth ride. Days 1-3 my throat just felt achy and very swollen. It was very hard to swallow my own spit because I had so much mucus. My uvula was extremely swollen to where I would "choke" on it sometimes. I kept my schedule with the pain medicine strict so that I didn't have any problems. I took my medicine every 6 hours. I made sure to wake up in the middle of the night to take it and drink some water. The humidifier helps SO much! Slurpees were my best friend! For the entire first week I didn't eat any solid foods. I stuck to smoothies and slurpees and occasionally apple sauce and pudding. Day 4 was the only really rough day (not pain wise) because I threw up a lot. I had to go to the hospital because I kept throwing up blood. Turns out it was old blood though that I had swallowed during surgery so it was no big deal! After vomiting I honestly felt a lot better because I got rid of a lot of mucus. Days 5-8 were great. The pain just felt like a sore throat. Day 8-9 the pain got worse because of the scabs, but nothing horrific. Everyone online made a huge deal about the scabs. I'm not sure why, because I swallowed one of mine and it wasn't a big deal. The other one I think I swallowed at night or something because it's gone and I didn't feel it come off. Days 8-12 the pain is now just sharp. It is bearable and really not as bad as people made it seem online. So, overall my experience SO FAR is very positive. Aside from vomiting, the pain is minor and not horrific. Keep in mind I have a good pain tolerance and suffered from horrific tonsillitis, so i'm used to this kind of pain. I lost about 6 lbs back when I checked on day 6, so now maybe about 8 or 9. I started at 120 so I'm probably down to 114 or something. I'm still feeling tired, but I'm getting my energy back. Today I was able to eat a soft taco and oatmeal and my voice is finally coming back. Day 8 was Christmas day (sigh) and I was able to eat mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. Hope this helps anyone thinking about having a tonsillectomy. I suffered from strep throat and tonsillitis for way too long and i'm so glad my tonsils are out now!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
tonsillectomy, tonsillectomy advice, tonsillectomy diet, tonsillectomy recovery, tonsillectomy surgery