It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

Adult Tonsillectomy

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #1
ENTpatient123
(female)

ENTpatient123 HB User
Adult Tonsillectomy

I am a 23 year old female and have recently decided with my ENT it is time to have a tonsillectomy. I have been through years of strep and tonsillitis as well as (for the past two years since a bad bout of Mono) a very swollen tonsil/lymphnode on the right side. I am understandably very concerned about the procedure and its causing a lot of anxiety. I have never had a positive reaction to Anesthesia and usually throw-up for some time after waking up. My questions are:
1) how bad is it really for someone my age
2) Has anyone else undergone the surgery with similar reactions to anesthesia
3) My parents won't be around for the second week of my recovery.... I will be alone and I'm wondering if I should postpone the procedure. Week one I will have someone around but week two not so much. Im so worried something will happen.... I need some advice.

Any advice is so appreciated! I'm freaking out a bit!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2016, 01:26 AM   #2
Owlauss
(female)

Owlauss HB User
Re: Adult Tonsillectomy

I'm 21 soon to be 22 and just had my tonsils out on the 3rd and I was quite fine for the first 3-4 days. That's when the pain began.

Straight after my surgery they kept me in overnight because I have a bit of extra weight and also I'd had an issue when I was 2 with taking a long time to wake from Anesthesic. While I was in hospital it was fine, and the following 2-3 days were fine. I had my boyfriend looking after me but I was able to walk around and talk fine (even though i sounded a bit like kermit.)
It seemed like when I got to about day 4-5 post op, i'd started to have this burning sensation both eating and drinking. I was going from eating solids as my surgeon instructed so not being able to even swallow water. It felt like something was building in my throat. I was up crying a lot of the night because it hurt so much.
When it came to day 7 I thought, okay, it should start getting better now! Then I woke up and started immediately coughing up fresh blood. I swallowed a lot and ended up vomiting that up as well. My boyfriend rushed me to the hospital and aside from the scab they couldn't determine where the bleeding was from. We worked out that I'd bled about a coke cans worth of blood. It eventually slowed and now Im on meds to hopefully stop that from happening again. But I'm having quite a dry cough so i'm hoping that's moving some more scabbing and won't cause more bleeding like I had.

That was yesterday, a week post op so I'm just going on to my second week now. I don't expect you'd have that problem, the doctors said what happened to me only happens 5% of the time. However I thought i'd share my experience seeing as we're close in age.

I'm also going to be alone for a short period of my second week. Boyfriend is going to his course so I'll be in the house by myself. By now I'm perfectly capable of doing things on my own, without low energy and the only problem i had was the pain which was caused by whatever caused the bleeding. However hopefully I won't have the problems I had on day 7 again, otherwise I may be a bit stuck without transport.

All in all, you should be fine. Be weary of the pain though, and drink water as it helps. The first week really is the worst I found, by the second week you should be fine to be by yourself.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:25 AM   #3
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi. I had a tonsillectomy at age 26. I wont lie, when I woke up the pain was pretty bad. They do say its harder on adults then children...however, as soon as I started taking the pain medication I felt better

I did nothing but sleep for the first 48 hours, only to wake up to take more pain medication and eat something. By day 4 I was feeling like myself, with a sore throat.

Fast forward several years, I have not had a sore throat or bronchitis since the surgery. I do not regret it!!!

My recovery was as expected. I had no complications- felt completely better by day 6 and was off the pain medication and only taking tylenol by day 5.

The second week, I was back at work.

yes, anesthesia makes me throw up too. But, it only happened twice, in the recovery room and the nurses were with me. I was so out of it, I barely remember doing it. Once the anesthesia wears off, you should be puking any longer, and they wont let you go home until you are able to drink something and eat some crackers and hold them down.

I wouldnt worry too much about the "what ifs". By week two you should be almost 100%....

Good luck!

Last edited by MSNik; 02-11-2016 at 06:26 AM.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:50 AM   #4
khunter85
(female)

khunter85 HB User

Hey there. 30 year old female just had my tonsils removed 3 days ago. I was scared to death. I've never been put to sleep and I was scared I would wake up during surgery, but I didn't. I suffer from an anxiety disorder and this in turn made me think of all the things that could go wrong. I was given a sedative before anesthesia. I remember them asking if it smelled good, to think of a nice dream, and me thinking I finally get to get some sleep, then poor I was out. When I woke up I was crying but I heard a nurse say "post anesthesia is emotional due to anxiety disorder." But the pain was about a 4, not too bad but noticeable. Thus far the worst is I've lost my taste, the meds cause acid reflux, and mucus build up causing me to gag or vomit. Pain feels like strep throat to be honest. I hear that when the scabs come off is when the real pain begins. We shall see.

Closed Thread

Tags
adult tonsillectomy, recovery expectation, surgery complications, tonsillectomy