It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Throat burning, please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2016, 05:02 AM   #1
    Silkblackkat
    (female)

Silkblackkat HB User
    Exclamation Throat burning, please help

Hello everyone,
    This is my first post here. So I guess I'll jump right into it. I am a 32 year old woman with asthma, allergies (eczema and post nasal drip), anxiety and IBS (all of those are pretty much controlled). I take clairiton D everyday, 10mgs prozac, use nasonex, and use my inhaler as needed. Lactose does bother my stomach in big amounts and I am not glucose intolerant (went on the gluten free diet for 8 months before). For the past 4 years I have had a burning/raw sensation in the back upper part of my throat. It affects the upper part. I can feel it when I breath (like you have a burn and are constantly blowing on it) and basically all the time. God I wish I could sleep! It does not hurt when I swallow just is always there. It is agonizing. I have been to four different gastrointestinal physicians, a neurologist and a pain clinic. I have had upper GI scopes which found nothing except my stomach was a little red, a bravo test (where they put a microchip in your esophagus for a few days- very uncomfortable) which found nothing- no acid!, and an MRI which also found nothing to do with my throat. So they think it MIGHT be sensitive esophagus and have tried me on every kind of Tryptaline drug there is along with all kinds of nerve drugs, I have been on nora and amitryptaline, cymbalta, lyrica, and the list goes on and on. Most don't have an effect but some I had severe side effects and had to get off of. The pain clinic basically laughed in my face, saying they wont give me anything because I don't have a diagnosis. My regular physician gave me some (like 10) low dose pain killers that help so I can sleep but no one will consider giving me more and I understand its only a cover up but its driving me crazy. I have two referrals to Cleveland clinic which my insurance doesn't cover and I can not afford- just got out of college and am a single mom. I have an appt with an ENT doctor in two weeks. I am usually a happy person and love being a mommy but this has ruined my life. If anyone has anything similar or knows what this is please help me. It is not reflux, if it was I would be so happy as I would know what it is. I have tried all the PPI's there are, they don't help but I do take zantac anyways. If I didn't have my daughter I don't know if I could deal with this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2016, 08:35 AM   #2
    devin241951
    (female)

devin241951 HB User
    Re: Throat burning, please help

I have started having a burning sensation in my throat and heaviness in my chest about two months ago. At first I was being treated for bronchitis but breathing treatments and antibiotics were not helping. Thryoidism runs in my family so the doctor ordered a CT on my thyroid only to find out my throat, tonsils and esophagus were enlarged. My doctor diagnosed me with LPR or silent reflux which causes breathing problems, burning in throat and mouth. I am currently taking Prolosec 40 mg a day it helps some. There is a surgery available to prepare your esophagus. I hope you find some relief.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:41 PM   #3
    Silkblackkat
    (female)

Silkblackkat HB User
    Re: Throat burning, please help

Quote:
    Originally Posted by devin241951 View Post
    I have started having a burning sensation in my throat and heaviness in my chest about two months ago. At first I was being treated for bronchitis but breathing treatments and antibiotics were not helping. Thryoidism runs in my family so the doctor ordered a CT on my thyroid only to find out my throat, tonsils and esophagus were enlarged. My doctor diagnosed me with LPR or silent reflux which causes breathing problems, burning in throat and mouth. I am currently taking Prolosec 40 mg a day it helps some. There is a surgery available to prepare your esophagus. I hope you find some relief.

Hi. Thank u for answering my post. I recently went to an ent and found out my voice box is very red and inflamed. He believes that is the reason for my discomfort. I take allergy meds and he thinks I'm so dried out that a tiny bit of acid is getting up to my larynx. So back on protonix and off one allergy med. I hope this works. I'm tired of being in pain.

Closed Thread

Tags
    burning in throat, help asap, throat