It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• My ENT prescribed Nexium for a sore throat!?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #1
    velcoro
    (male)

velcoro HB User
    My ENT prescribed Nexium for a sore throat!?

Hi. I will try my best to make this real short, as I know people dislike reading long backstories. Have had a sore throat for about 2-3 months now, not excruciatingly bad, but yes, pretty uncomfortable (especially when it comes to eating). During the first month, it bothered me enough that I went to the hospital. They diagnosed me with viral pharyngitis, prescribed ibuprofen and told me to see an ENT if it persists. It did, I went to an ENT about a month ago. The ENT (more on this ENT later) gave me some antibiotics and told me to come back in 4 weeks to see if it's gone. It didn't go away, went today in the morning to see him again. He stuck some camera down my nose all the way through my throat and voice box and told me at least it wasn't as concerning as something like cancer. Told me that it's possible it could be, I believe he said acid reflex related, and that maybe some acid may be affecting my throat (I hope I got that right, or am at least in the ballpark). So, he prescribed Nexium.

Ok. There's the whole short backstory. So, this ENT, I've had him for almost a decade now (I'm 28), but all I've really used him for were simple things like clearing my ear wax. He's real nice and appears smart and all, and well-spoken but I have had this annoyance with him in the past few times I've gone to him that he prescribes these medications that I'm not really sure I need. Years ago he gave me some oil drops he said would help against wax build-up, but upon reading the medication it didn't look like it was in fact for wax-build up per se (really forgot what it said it WAS intended for). And this past month with him prescribing some antibiotics that had no effect (and I am pretty the antibiotics even said "does not prevent or kill infections"), he appears to be striking out on giving me legit medication. But, I'm not a doctor, I don't know. But, this more recent one today has me concerned. He said it may be acid reflex affecting the throat, but I am just concerned because I suffer from absolutely no stereotypical symptoms of acid reflex at all (i.e. heartburn, chest pains). Should I take the Nexium medication? I hate taking pills I don't need or pills that are in no way connected to what I have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    ent, nexium, sore, throat, tonsils