It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Hair in throat hell

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #1
    nick468
    (male)

nick468 HB User
    Hair in throat hell

Hi there,

I am in real discomfort, as I have the feeling of a hair or obstruction on the back of my mouth, close to, or on my right tonsil.
    I think it is related to post-nasal drip, although even when I am not feeling a wish to cough up phlegm, there is still the feeling of a foreign object in the back of my mouth.

I just feel like I want to go into the back of my mouth, and rip it out.
    A consultant previously told me I will always have this problem due to the fact I have a deviated septum, and my tonsils and the stuff around it are large, quite thick and 'crowded'. My regular doctor said he could see phlegm resting on my tonsils.

But the problem is intermittent. I had the nasty feeling of a hair in my throat for around six weeks in August-September 2014, followed by ten months of it between January and October 2015. After a winter break, it came back early last month, and has remained.

I really hope this isn't going to be a regular thing.... I know it is only a minor problem to many people, but it is making me feel quite low, tired and unable to function normally.

I am trying acupuncture right now in the hope it will make a difference, the first time I have ventured away from conventional medicines. But my confidence in this is only limited. There are so many possible solutions, I cannot physically try all of them.

For the record, I have tried antibiotics, antihistamine, decongestant nasal spray and penicillin to no avail. I also use Difflam mouthwash to numb the feeling of the hair. I have had an endoscopy, and MRI treatment, but nothing has been found of any abnormality. I'm starting to think a tonsillectomy might be a good option, but i'm also aware this is no silver bullet.

If anyone can help me out, or has had a similar experience, i'd love to hear from you.

- Nick

Last edited by Administrator; 11-10-2017 at 07:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Hair in throat hell

Hi...not a minor problem at all.

If i were you, ask to have your tonsils out. It will save you a lifetime of suffering with those issues, for they will never go away.
    q

Closed Thread