It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• ENT, or Gastro, or crazy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #1
    Bowm989
    (female)

Bowm989 HB User
    ENT, or Gastro, or crazy?

Events of Mono:
    End of February: woke up with chills & low grade fever, did nothing about it
    Mid March: glands swollen, extremely tired, no appetite
    **tightness in throat appears when driving home from work one night...went to sleep & didnt re-appear
    **was seeing psych at this point trying to stay off anxiety meds** (postpartum depression/anxiety) 3months PP
    April 4th: finally went into ER and had infectious mononucleosis...ER doc said "well, go about your life, nothing you can do about mono"
    **Went to work next day....exhausted & worked the rest of the month (dental hygienist)
    May: worked 3 weeks of the month then saw gastro mid month...he told me to rest for a week...no work...rest....and lump in throat feeling should go away...felt it was residual from Mono...I'm older (37 female) & symptoms are lingering.
    -ENT (Cleveland Clinic) - Dr said throat tightness was most likely mono & looked in my throat with mirror to view voice box...no swelling, slight redness, no signs of anything bad...gave me omeprozil but when I saw gastro 4 days later he told me to not take the meds because he felt is was from the mono....
    -Cardiac stress test - all normal
    -Rheumatologist- all normal including extensive thyroid panels but a lot of tender spots lead to diagnosing of possible fibromyalgia....treat with diet & exercise now...go back in 2 months if symptoms persist & Cymbalta would be tried. (I don't like meds)
    Thickness in throat persists with soreness & can't shake it with natural methods or rest or extra fluids.
    6/11/16- called My gastro on call ... Told him I'm having a hard time swallowing & he said to make sure I'm drinking enough Ensure. I now weigh 145#
    --> He wants to do a barium swallow early this week & move up endoscopy
    CURRENTLY IM HOPING & praying it GERD or some sort of reflux that can be treated.
    I have no appetite & I'm afraid to eat solid foods because they feel like they "might" get stuck. anxiety?!?!?? U bet ya! But come on....this can't all be anxiety.....right? Currently no meds

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2016, 01:15 AM   #2
    boobootwo
    (female)

boobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB User
    Re: ENT, or Gastro, or crazy?

I've never believed in Fibro, as that is what doctor's kept telling me, so I did my own extensive research. Some doc's will even tell you that Fibro was made up because they could never find out what was actually wrong with the person. I researched tests and asked my family physician to humour me and do an A.N.A. test on me and she said sure. It's an antinuclear antibody test. It showed speckled titre and positive SSA. I saw an internest after that and she confirmed the diagnosis and that was about 10 years ago. I was diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome. Sjogren's tends to have the same symptoms as Fibro. I also suffer from panic disorder that I've had most of my life. Now that I'm getting older, (almost 60), my condition is affecting me much more. I could go on with all of the things that happen to me, but most are fleeting. I may have them for a few days or a week and then they're gone. My suggestion....if they're telling you that you have fibro......suggest in the same way that I did. Ask them to humour you and do the ANA test. It's an inexpensive test and may solve a lot of issues for you. Just wanted to add, that the symptoms you mentioned in your post are the same things I suffer with.

Last edited by boobootwo; 06-13-2016 at 01:19 AM. Reason: adding on

Old 06-14-2016, 03:17 AM   #3
    Bowm989
    (female)

Bowm989 HB User

Thank you! They did an ANA & I believe it was positive. I need to re-check. Starting to feel like the Drs are "passing me around" at this point. Are you or have you ever been on any anxiety/panic meds? What's worked? Thanks

Old 06-15-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
    boobootwo
    (female)

boobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bowm989 View Post
    Thank you! They did an ANA & I believe it was positive. I need to re-check. Starting to feel like the Drs are "passing me around" at this point. Are you or have you ever been on any anxiety/panic meds? What's worked? Thanks
    Some people do well with the newer anti-anxiety medications, but I never did. Always made me feel like a zombie. Years ago, I was on alprazolam. Took those off and on for a few years. If you experience generalized anxiety, I personally would try and conquer it with taking classes on cognitive restructuring. I had done this for 14 weeks, but I have panic disorder, so symptoms come up for no reason at all and any time of the day. I now take low dose diazepam 3 times a day and that seems to keep me functioning like a normal human being. Helps somewhat with nerve issues also. They're just highly addictive, so if you don't want to become dependant on them, I would try the classes first, or if that doesn't work, ask your doctor about the new SSRI's. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread