It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Ossicular strain question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #1
    sk3pt1c
    (male)

sk3pt1c HB User
    Ossicular strain question

Hello,

I am a freediver and I pushed a few equalisations last year which resulted in some ear ringing.

There were two episodes, for the first the ringing lasted about a week, for the second, well, it hasn't gone away.

It's really subtle now, I only hear it when I'm some place really really quiet or when I'm lying down with my right ear (the one that's ringing) down.

So, two things to note which make this case weird.

One, I've been to three ENT doctors and done tests and I don't have tinnitus or any hearing loss whatsoever.
    Also my right ear drum seems to be more flexible than my left one.
    I can still dive and equalise ok but sometimes the right one resists a bit.

Two, the right ear feels like it's got negative pressure, it's the only way i can explain it.
    Like it's sort of blocked constantly.
    Like if the drum is at 0 and i equalise right now and push them both to 1, the left one returns to 0 but the right one feels like it pulls itself to -1.

I spoke to a doctor that's done work with divers and he said it's ossicular strain and it'll go away on its own if it does go away.

My question is, have you come across this at all? Is there something I can do to "unblock" my right ear?
    It's almost a year since the first episode now and it's still there but no hearing loss which is weird.

Thanks a lot for any help!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread