It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board

• Throat twitch/spasm and swallowing discomfort

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2016, 09:17 PM   #1
    wonderfulworld
    (female)

wonderfulworld HB User
    Throat twitch/spasm and swallowing discomfort

For two years I have had lots of problems with my throat. After actively changing my lifestyle to prevent acid reflux, I have gone from not being able to drink water or swallow anything other than oatmeal to being able to swallow normally about 70% of the time. It has been very gradual and seems to be healing.

What remains is something that my doctors seem clueless about. I'm earnestly seeking anyone who might know anything about this strange forceful twitch (spasm?) in the neck / throat. A lot of people who have throat spasms don't seem to actually see anything in their neck move. They call this globus and equate it with a lump in the throat feeling attributable to anxiety. I'm seeking anyone who might know anything about a very visible pronounced physical movement in the throat. Other people can see my throat twitching very forcefully.

It could be easily confused with the appearance of a swallow. But it happens when I'm not swallowing. It happens repeatedly and almost out of control. It happens a lot when I'm tense, but it even happens when I'm relaxed. It happens a lot around mealtimes, but it also happens a lot around 3-4 hours after lunch when I'm not eating. This is the worst time. If rhythmic music is playing it will uncontrollably match up to the rhythm. With or without music playing, it's very bad in the car on the way home from work. It's not only annoying, but it's also painful or just exhausting and uncomfortable. Many times it makes a clicking or cracking noise if I open my mouth. It sounds like a muscle ripping apart.

It is accompanied sometimes by head pressure. Very intense - like I'm in an airplane, but worse. The spasms will click and crack in my ears. It's also accompanied by jaw tightness at times. I almost feel like my jaw will become paralyzed. Sometimes the twitches feel very strong up around the sides of my head and give me a headache.

Relaxation helps a lot, so the theory between me and my doctors is that it's stress related. But I do worry that there's something else besides it being all in my head. It's just so strange that two years ago it came on so suddenly and I haven't had a day without the monstrous throat twitches since. Can anyone relate?

I have been taking omeprazole and trazodone.

Thanks so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread